cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a mechanism for integrating a 3rd party development board with STM32CubeIDE?

PBees
Associate

We have in production a display product using STM32F496. Currently we offer this with our own software only, but are considering opening up software development to 3rd parties. We would love to be able to integrate this with STM32CubeIDE and TouchGFX in the same way as ST's own discovery and eval boards.

I've found this information on how to develop an expansion package, is there a similar mechanism to integrate a new development board into the environment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jerome B
ST Employee

Hello,

To complete my colleagues view, you anyway have the possibility to describe all the STM32F496 peripherals assignments and configuration of the board you have created using STM32CubeMX or STM32CubeIDE configurator and share the configuration file (ioc) with your customers/partners.

This would help them to carry on the SW configuration on top of a predefined HW configuration.

In ths case, the expansion package you create will be possible to directly use the HW resources reserved on the board.

Regards

Jerome

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Not to my knowledge. Custom board(s) is(are) supported relying on MCU device selection only instead STM's boards.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @PBees​ ,

Welcome to ST Community 🙂

As far as I am concerned, I consider it a good idea to integrate your own board on STM32CubeIDE list of development boards and be able to use same features as when you select an ST board.

How feasible is this? This is an answer that needs to be provided by our STM32CubeMX & STM32CubeIDE experts (@Khouloud ZEMMELI​ , @Khouloud OTHMAN​ , @Markus GIRDLAND​ ).

In order not to miss this proposal and keep tracking of its status, I suggest you to submit it as a new idea in the Idea Zone.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello!

Today there's no possibility to add a board to the integrated MCUFinder inside STM32CubeIDE but you can select the MCU you are developing with (select MCU/MPU Selector instead of Board Selector)0693W000007Z4yDQAS.png 

Then you can use whatever custom board you wish and make your application around the MCU accordingly.

If I misinterpret the request then please let me know!

Jerome B
ST Employee

Hello,

To complete my colleagues view, you anyway have the possibility to describe all the STM32F496 peripherals assignments and configuration of the board you have created using STM32CubeMX or STM32CubeIDE configurator and share the configuration file (ioc) with your customers/partners.

This would help them to carry on the SW configuration on top of a predefined HW configuration.

In ths case, the expansion package you create will be possible to directly use the HW resources reserved on the board.

Regards

Jerome

PBees
Associate

Thanks for your help. We had already figured we could share the .ioc file I think that gets us 90% of where we wanted to be.