cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install STM32CubeIDE on Linux / OpenSuse 15.3

TMohr
Associate

I try to install STM32CubeIDE on Linux / OpenSuse 15.3.

When downloading the latest RPM (1.7.0) I click "Get Latest", accept and then it automatically downloads the Linux Generic Installer.

How can I get the RPM? Can somebody confirm the problem?

Anyway, I then run the generic installer script and accept all license related points.

I get some error messages:

libusbx >= 1.0 is needed by st-stlink-server-2.0.2-3.x86_64

Problem: conflicting requests

- nothing provides libncurses.so.5 needed by st-stm32cubeide_1.7.0-1.7.0-10852_20210715_0634.x86_64

- nothing provides st-stlink-server needed by st-stm32cubeide_1.7.0-1.7.0-10852_20210715_0634.x86_64

(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

Regarding libncurses:

~> rpm -qa | grep libncurses

libncurses6-6.1-lp152.7.67.x86_64

libncurses5-6.1-lp152.7.67.x86_64

libncurses 5 is installed. Why does the installer complain?

Regarding libusbx:

The home page of libusbx says it is superseeded by libusb and the latest release from libusbx is from 2014.

libusbx is not available for my distro as RPM any more.

Regarding stlink-server:

I downloaded the st-stlink-server-2.0.2-3.

When I try to install the RPM I get:

# rpm -Uvh st-stlink-server-2.0.2-3-linux-amd64.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:

libusbx >= 1.0 is needed by st-stlink-server-2.0.2-3.x86_64

The generic .install.sh installs fine, but the STM32CubeIDE installer still shows the same message.

Also, when I add the recommended option --skip-broken (message from the install script), then the install script says it does not know the option --skip-broken.

Quite many inconsistencies, can anybody please give a hint on how to install STM32CubeIDE ?

Thanks for any hints,

Torsten

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Torsten,

It's true what @TDK​  says, it might be an uphill battle. However, if it's something you want to try I highly recommend using the Installation Guide UM2563, it covers both manual installation as well as how to install the packaged installers available on st.com.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

The "Generic Linux" and "RPM Linux" download different files for me.

If you're not using a supported version of Linux, might be an uphill battle. Supported versions:

Linux® (tested on Ubuntu® LTS 18.04, LTS 20.04, Fedora® 29 and Fedora® 31, 64 bits)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hello Torsten,

It's true what @TDK​  says, it might be an uphill battle. However, if it's something you want to try I highly recommend using the Installation Guide UM2563, it covers both manual installation as well as how to install the packaged installers available on st.com.

I did a mistake when downloading the generic linux installation. Yes, the files are different.

The Generic Linux installation works fine, the RPM not, as mentioned above.

I'd still recommend to look at the inconsistencies in the RPM as SuSE is listed as supported in the UM2563.

Hi Markus
Where do I get those packages from (I'd like to download them for SUSE), that are mentioned in the installation guide:
Manual installation (.rpm/.deb)
For RPM-based distributions (Red Hat®, CentOS™, SUSE®, Fedora®):
sudo rpm -Uhv segger-jlink-udev-rules-xxxx-linux-noarch.rpm st-stlinkudev-rules-xxxx-linux-noarch.rpm st-stlink-server-xxxx-linux-amd64.rpm ststm32cubeide_xxxx_a

Many thanks

Markus