cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand why STM32CubeIDE give me this syntax error. How do you access to array that are inside a struct?

William F
Associate II

typedef struct{

uint8_t data[10];

uint8_t time[10];

uint8_t description[10];

} FileString;

FileString Datalogger_FileString;

Datalogger_FileString.data[0]=0; //ERROR: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before '.' token

What do I should do to access the array inside a struct? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KnarfB
Principal III

Your code snippet compiles fine. May be some stray non-ASCII chars if you copy-pasted the code from elsewhere.

Edit: The above holds, but I automatically assumed that the last two lines appeared later in some function.

You cannot put assignments (statements) at global level,unlike in Python for example.

You could init with

FileString Datalogger_FileString1 = { .data[0]=0 };

But since all globally defined variables are initialized to 0 by the C runtime, there is no effect in doing so.

hth

KnarfB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KnarfB
Principal III

Your code snippet compiles fine. May be some stray non-ASCII chars if you copy-pasted the code from elsewhere.

Edit: The above holds, but I automatically assumed that the last two lines appeared later in some function.

You cannot put assignments (statements) at global level,unlike in Python for example.

You could init with

But since all globally defined variables are initialized to 0 by the C runtime, there is no effect in doing so.

hth

KnarfB

Thank you. I notice that the syntax depends on where you initialize the variable. As global, you must initialize as you said:

If you are inside a function you can init as I do.

Datalogger_FileString.data[0]=0;

Thank you