cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Specify the Build Directory for an STM32 Project in CubeIDE

gari
Associate II

I am using STM32 Project with CubeIDE.

When I select "Automatically generate Makefile" in the project properties, it seems that I cannot change the build location.

Is there a way to specify the output directory for the build artifacts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Hmm if Herr Schaub were AI, he may be hallucinating )) These debug config screens are not related to build directory. Edit the makefile, find any definitions/macros that can be changed in make command line or environment.

Choosing makefile as the project type usually means that developer is comfortable with makefiles [and is smarter than IDE & mouse clicking folks].

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Not in the CubeMX GUI - but you can do this by tweaking the generated makefile in the post-build command.

gari
Associate II

Thank you for your response.
Is there a way to change the build directory by modifying the settings in CubeIDE or the project configuration, without directly editing the Makefile?

Just make/edit a new debug or run configuration and set it to....what you want:

AScha3_0-1725041624139.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you for the information.
How exactly should I set this up?
Aren't the build configurations and run configurations meant for setting up how the build artifacts are debugged or run?
I am specifically looking to designate an output directory for the build artifacts.

For example, I would like to create a build directory under the project root, and within that, have separate release and debug directories for the output. In the future, I also plan to create separate directories under build for unit test build artifacts.

Come on... read the manuals and the how-to-use ...

then right click and create a new configuration...as you like, set it. Thats it. Try...

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Hmm if Herr Schaub were AI, he may be hallucinating )) These debug config screens are not related to build directory. Edit the makefile, find any definitions/macros that can be changed in make command line or environment.

Choosing makefile as the project type usually means that developer is comfortable with makefiles [and is smarter than IDE & mouse clicking folks].

gari
Associate II

Thank you.
I usually use CMake, so I'm not very familiar with Makefile, but I'll give it a try and read through it.