cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to highlight live expressions when change on STMCubeIDE Debugging

nico23
Associate III

I'm new to STMCubeIDE (I'm using the latest version, 1.10) and I've noticed that there's no highlight when an expression/variable on live expressions change its value.

I'm used to IAR which highlights in red when a expression/variable changes its value while debugging.

Is there a similar option for STMCubeIDE?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello there,

There isn't a similar option to do that in STM32CubeIDE today.

For the use case of tracking a variable that is constantly updating itself this might not be relevant. However, I do see the value in adding a functionality like this when tracking the state of something for example. So I went ahead and created a change request ticket to add this feature.

Internal ticket reference: 131635

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello there,

There isn't a similar option to do that in STM32CubeIDE today.

For the use case of tracking a variable that is constantly updating itself this might not be relevant. However, I do see the value in adding a functionality like this when tracking the state of something for example. So I went ahead and created a change request ticket to add this feature.

Internal ticket reference: 131635

do we have news on this? On 1.12 I've seen you have added some enhancement on the Live View but not this one

It was considered rather low priority so it was postponed in this release. Ticket 131635 is currently targeted towards 1.13. However, this could change so I don't want to promise anything.

nico23
Associate III

So I've seen it's been added to 1.13, and I have to say it works very well.

The only thing is that once a variable changes its value, it is highlighted, but it stays highlighted forever, so if it changes again, you are unable to track it.

The way this works on IAR is that the variable is highlighted when it changes, and then it returns back to normal after a couple of seconds, so you can actually debug variable variations.

You can see the behavior here https://youtu.be/CBqDiwJfWMw?t=620