cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot update STM32CubeIDE from 1.8 to 1.10 on Linux

Gaston
Senior

Here's the problem when updating STM32CubeIDE from the Help->Check for Updates option on a Linux Mint 20.3 (Una).

Any hint please?

0693W00000Nt2bGQAR.pnggaston

5 REPLIES 5
Julien D
ST Employee

Upgrade worked fine from here from 1.8 to 1.10 on Ubuntu 20.04.

But I'm not using the Debian package which I guess is your case (installation in /opt/st). Because STM32CubeIDE it is not intended to be updated using the in-app update mechanism when installed from the native package manager.

Normally if you installed STM32CubeIDE with the Debian package then the installation path is supposed to be owned by root. In this case the only way to use the in-app update is to run the application with sudo, otherwise to get the following screen, and here again it worked for me (btw this is not recommended at all to execute the application as root).

0693W00000Nt2jKQAR.pngAnyway, can't it be due to missing disk space during the update ?

Gaston
Senior

Hi Julien,

Thank you for the feedback. Some questions about your comments:

• Yes, indeed there is no permission for the STM32CubeIDE debian package installation. ST provide deb package and in this case does not advice (as far as I know) about lack of privileges on future updates. The alternative could be asking for the root password before updating in order to avoid running the application with sudo. Could it be feasible?
  • Do you suggest to use the STM32CubeIDE Generic Linux Installer to avoid permission issues?
  • How can uninstall my current deb installed package? I'm not able to see any uninstaller script in opt folder.

gaston

The standard way to update a native package is usually done thanks to the package manager (apt/yum). But currently ST has no repository to publish STM32CubeIDE releases, no way to take benefit of the full package manager features. Invoking the in-app update process as sudo would be possible, but will break the versioning, eg STM32CubeIDE version will be something different, likely more recent, than the version reported by the package manager. Such may introduce confusion.

The generic installer is the right one to use to take full benefit of the in-app update feature yes. Moreover it prompts for sudo password in order to install stuff required for debugging (udev rules, stlink-server).

You can uninstall your current installation using the command: sudo apt-get remove st-stm32cubeide-1.8.0

Gaston
Senior

Great. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW you should change 'remote' to 'remove' in the uninstall command.

gaston

Indeed! Thanks for pointing this out 👍