cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U-Boot Splash Screen

MFR
Associate II

Hi,

Appreciate any help on how to enable u-boot splash screen during boot. I am using STM32MP157F-DK2.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
To activate the splash screen during U-BOOT, I recommand that you start by displaying the splash screen manuallly from the uboot prompt: -First, check that the CONFIG_DM_VIDEO is enabled -Place your bmp image in your boot patition 
-Using the U-boot command line, try to display the image:
$setenv loadaddr_splash 0x.....
$load mmc 0:<boot part number> ${loadaddr_splash} <bmp file name>
$bmp display ${loadaddr_splash}

-Update the uboot-env in order to load the bmp image in the RAM and display it before launching the boot command.
-You need to add your bmp to the uboot source under tools/logos
-Update the buildroot uboot makefile in order to unstall the bmp to the loot partion and update uboot-env

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Hamdi_b
Associate

Hello @MFR ,

The uboot splash screen is enabled by default when you generate image by yocto. if your  question is about the customization of the splash screen, you need to update the recipe meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-stm32mp-splash_2018.bb and add your images in the directory layers/meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-stm32mp-splash. So, you can customize it as follow:

1. Generate bmp images using convert (images dimension must be 480*183 or 183*480) :
    convert your_logo_l_rgb_rle8_480x183.jpg -type Palette -colors 224 -depth 8 -compress none -verbose BMP3:your_logo_l_rgb_rle8_480x183.bmp
  2. Copy your splash images (bmp) under meta-your-layer/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-stm32mp
  3. Create meta-your-layer/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-stm32mp-splash_%.bbappend
  4. Copy the following content in your bbappend file:

FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/u-boot-stm32mp:"
SRC_URI = "file://${UBOOT_SPLASH_LANDSCAPE_SRC} \
file://${UBOOT_SPLASH_PORTRAIT_SRC}"

UBOOT_SPLASH_LANDSCAPE_src="your_logo_l_rgb_rle8_480x183.bmp"
UBOOT_SPLASH_PORTRAIT_src="your_logo_p_rgb_rle8_480x183.bmp"

Thanks @Hamdi_b   for your reply, any idea how i could do this on Buildroot?

To activate the splash screen during U-BOOT, I recommand that you start by displaying the splash screen manuallly from the uboot prompt: -First, check that the CONFIG_DM_VIDEO is enabled -Place your bmp image in your boot patition 
-Using the U-boot command line, try to display the image:
$setenv loadaddr_splash 0x.....
$load mmc 0:<boot part number> ${loadaddr_splash} <bmp file name>
$bmp display ${loadaddr_splash}

-Update the uboot-env in order to load the bmp image in the RAM and display it before launching the boot command.
-You need to add your bmp to the uboot source under tools/logos
-Update the buildroot uboot makefile in order to unstall the bmp to the loot partion and update uboot-env