cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up SPI LCD ILI9341 with STM32MP157-DK1

vishnuhari93
Associate

Hi all,

I own an STM32MP157-DK1. I am trying to setup the TFT display ILI9341 on this discovery kit. I am familiar with Bitbake and Yocto. Are there any minimal images available that I can bake and dump on my discovery kit (SD card) to test my display unit. My end goal is to use Qt to develop UI for this display unit.

If there are no images available that can support ILI9341, please point me to resources that I can use to configure my custom image that can support this display unit. Looking forward to your suggestions and inputs.

@Kevin HUBERtagging you because I saw your response on a similar post.

Best,

Vishnu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @vishnuhari93 ,
As far as I know, we do not have a ready to use example that will drive your SPI panel for our STM32MP15.
Please find below the different information that will be useful to setup your wanted result:

ST provides different default images on Yocto that already integrates Qt inside:
- st-example-image-qtwayland (with windows management)
st-example-image-qt (without windows management // EGLFS)

You can find more information about these images on this article.

Now what about your panel ?
If you are familiar with Yocto, you understand that when we bake the complete image containing the BSP, the filesystem and so on, we also compile the default ST kernel delivered in each release. This kernel has a default configuration for the dispay in the device tree of the platform. For example, in our STM32MP157F-DK2 case, we have the DTS configured to use the Orise Tech OTM8009A panel.
This is not what you want. In your case, you will have to apply your own patch on top of the Kernel that will modify the board DTS in order to remove the default panel and put your own one instead of. As your panel is driven by SPI, the way to add it in the device tree can be different. However, the driver to control your panel seems to already exist, and I saw it in an existing device tree. Maybe you can get inspired by stm32f429-disco.dts that use the same panel as you, declared under &SPI5 node. (I do not say that it will be copy past, this is just to give you a direction).

My personal advice for you would be to begin with the developer package, with a default SD card providing all the BSP for your board, and begin to modify the Kernel device tree to add your panel step by step. Only when this step will be done, I would begin to look at Yocto and the Qt image.

I hope that this information will help you.
Kind regards,
Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @vishnuhari93 ,
As far as I know, we do not have a ready to use example that will drive your SPI panel for our STM32MP15.
Please find below the different information that will be useful to setup your wanted result:

ST provides different default images on Yocto that already integrates Qt inside:
- st-example-image-qtwayland (with windows management)
st-example-image-qt (without windows management // EGLFS)

You can find more information about these images on this article.

Now what about your panel ?
If you are familiar with Yocto, you understand that when we bake the complete image containing the BSP, the filesystem and so on, we also compile the default ST kernel delivered in each release. This kernel has a default configuration for the dispay in the device tree of the platform. For example, in our STM32MP157F-DK2 case, we have the DTS configured to use the Orise Tech OTM8009A panel.
This is not what you want. In your case, you will have to apply your own patch on top of the Kernel that will modify the board DTS in order to remove the default panel and put your own one instead of. As your panel is driven by SPI, the way to add it in the device tree can be different. However, the driver to control your panel seems to already exist, and I saw it in an existing device tree. Maybe you can get inspired by stm32f429-disco.dts that use the same panel as you, declared under &SPI5 node. (I do not say that it will be copy past, this is just to give you a direction).

My personal advice for you would be to begin with the developer package, with a default SD card providing all the BSP for your board, and begin to modify the Kernel device tree to add your panel step by step. Only when this step will be done, I would begin to look at Yocto and the Qt image.

I hope that this information will help you.
Kind regards,
Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
vishnuhari93
Associate

Dear Erwan,
Thank you for the quick and detailed response. I will start working with the developer package and try to modify the kernel device tree as per my display unit. I will get back to you on a new thread after completing this. 

Best,

Vishnu