cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to find a solution to a problem using vision with ANN/CNN - STM32Cube.AI or X-LINUX-AI-CV or FP-AI-VISION1 or X-CUBE-AI

KevinA
Senior

I'm trying to find a solution to a problem using vision, I discovered the 'MPU' line with the

STM32MP157C-DK2 but while investigating I cannot find CSI input or even a camera input. While I enjoy playing with USB based cameras it is 2019 and everyone has moved on to CSI based cameras, using parallel cameras is so 2013... It also appears everything is disconnected, what use is a AI based system for CNN networks if you cannot hook up a camera? Talking with Amazon?

Does STM have a vision based STMxx product?

5 REPLIES 5
OlivierK
ST Employee

​Hello Kevin Angus,

There isn't any native CSI input on STM32 products either MCU or MPU yet on existing products, we do only provide a parallel camera interface (DCMI).

I recommend you using a USB camera with the DK2 board for the time being.

Soon to come, an application note featuring the STM32MP157C and the STMIPID02 CSI-2 deserializer chip to interface CSI-2 type camera will be published in the second quarter this year. Here's the board details where the application note will be based upon. https://wiki.dh-electronics.com/index.php/Avenger96

Best Regards,

Olivier

KevinA
Senior

Guess we will deal with CSI later, the Avenger96 I looked at on Arrows site, at least the documentation, noted they had not gotten the board functional, 100BaseT and no pull-ups on I2C. They did note that CSI support is not yet in Yocto but they have a patch, no list of supported, tested cameras yet.

At any rate the STM32MP157C-DK2 will arrive tomorrow along with a 4amp C type power supply along with the C type connector I need to make a wiring harness for my bench power supply. I spent the weekend downloading everything I could find to get the STM32MP157C-DK2 up and running but ran into another issue:

Linux on my workstation. First I tried Microsoft's Windows subsystem for Linux, it installed, ran fine but no GUI. Next I tried Microsoft's Hyper-V, I got Ubuntu installed but nothing would run but the browser... Next I tried Docker, I mean that makes sense, build a Programming environment for the STM32MP157C-DK2 then publish it for users to use! No Docker containers with any STM stuff.

Finally I tried Oracles VirtualBox, while I now have Linux installed it is like working underwater and that is with a new computer with GEN 9 processor and Samsung's fastest memory. And what is the deal with AC6 and Linux?

I can only hope with the STM32MP157C-DK2 there is something with it to guide me through the process, I'm getting ready to send a shield out for build that will plug into the Arduino connectors of the STM32MP157C-DK2 (they are accessible where the 40 pin header is not) and control TMC5161A motor drivers using the touch display for control.

Thank you for the quick response, I left a message with Arrow about their Avenger96 documentation.

Kevin

OlivierK
ST Employee

I strongly advise you to go through the ST wiki dedicated to the STM32MP1 which gives you most of the answers: its seach engine is quite powerful

• Regarding the host environement, we have a whole page dedicated to this: https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/PC_prerequisites
  • Programming env and tools: AC6 and Linux tool that we called SW4STM32 has been upgraded to STM32CubeIDE, you can still use AC6 but it will be no more supported

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32CubeIDE  (configuring your project for your Arduino board, compile +debug under Eclipse env)

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32CubeProgrammer  (for creating partitions on SDcard/NVMs)

​Regarding your remarks on the Avenger96 you are right, we faced h/w issues on the old board version (silk screen 588-100 ) such as I2C pullups, but with small workaounds internally, we managed to capture images over an OV5640 CSI sensor using a D3 mezzanine board. For the Avenger96 mass prod board version (588-200) these workarounds are no more needed. The CSI support will be integrated in future release of Yocto OpenSTLinux packages.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Olivier

KevinA
Senior

I took your advice, the Wiki.st is where I should have started last week. I now have a VirtualBox with Ubuntu 18.04 and the VirtualBox extension for Cut & Paste plus drag and drop file transfer. I'll start adding the packages tomorrow, I did it once with a VB running Ubuntu 16.xx until it died but by then I'd discovered the latest requirements at the Wiki.st. I did install the CubeIDE and found they don't have STM32MP1 support, yet. 1.0.2 and the Linux version is 1.1.x and that must be the reason for the Linux box. If the VirtualBox doesn't work I found an Intel box with an i7, 2 terabytes HD, 12GB memory I can install Ubuntu 18.04.

Still think Docker would be a good thing, the problem would be the EULA, I'd miss agreeing to stuff I don't read 18 or so times.

The STM32MP157C-DK2 arrived, nice work, hardware and software is perfect, cordless keyboards, camera, WiFi, internet all work and the fun candy on the SD, the large SD.

Thank you for your patience

Kevin

OlivierK
ST Employee

I personnaly use VMWare ​Worstation player (ubuntu on windows host) without any issues.

Thanks for your positive comments about the STM32MP157C-DK2.

Best Regards,

Olivier