cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the giga ethernet performance of the STM32MP?

HLee.10
Associate

I need giga ethernet working on linux.

Is it possible with the STM32MP?

Please let me know if you have any test results with iperf.

Thank you for answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

tests done on STM32MP157F-EV1 board, with Ecosystem v4.0 (Kernel 5.15), iperf3 v3.7, PC ubuntu 20.04 as server on same network.

TCP transmission : 931 Mbits/sec

TCP reception: 830 Mbits/sec

UDP transmission: 785 Mbits/sec

UDP reception: 554 Mbits/sec

Regards,

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi,

tests done on STM32MP157F-EV1 board, with Ecosystem v4.0 (Kernel 5.15), iperf3 v3.7, PC ubuntu 20.04 as server on same network.

TCP transmission : 931 Mbits/sec

TCP reception: 830 Mbits/sec

UDP transmission: 785 Mbits/sec

UDP reception: 554 Mbits/sec

Regards,

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Select as Best' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. See also 'Best Answers'

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Nice performance! Just seems interesting why UDP is slower than TCP. Generally it should be the other way around, because UDP requires significantly less processing.

Hi @Piranha​ 

I think in any OS and SoC HW, TCP is usually better optimized for large bandwidth (i.e. buffers sizing) while UDP is tailored for low latency.

I think that also the way the test is done by iperf with UDP (as there is no ACK, if you request 1000Mbits, packets are likely send back to back) is more prone to packet loss/corruption which might add additional CPU usage at reception side (STM32MP15x CPU is far from PC performance) which in the end show as lower overall UDP perf.

Regards,