cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

current comsumption problem as for changing package.

Geonbangjini
Associate

Hello. Every one.

I've been designing using STM32MP151 series.

Now, i just have changed the package from STM32MP151CAB3(0.8pitch) to STM32MP151CAD3(0.5pitch).

And then, the current is consumed more than 0.4W.

of course, the power pin count is fewer than 151CAB3.

So, I added more capacitors with big capacitance.

Do you have any experiences as for this?

please, reply me.

Thank you.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Geonbangjini 

current consumption could vary between each device due to manufacturing variations. This is mostly for static power consumption (leakage). Dynamic power consumption has lower process variations.

Furthermore, smaller package mean also worse power dissipation, then higher Tj which increase the consumption.

Are you able to check individual supply consumption and check if come from MP15 and still within datasheet data.

Logging Tj (from internal temperature sensor) could also be helpful.

Could also come from DDR which could increase the refresh rate with system temperature (smaller MP1 package could mean smaller PCB and smaller product enclosure, which increase overall temperature).

Thermal camera could also help to isolate potential issues due to other board components.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @Geonbangjini 

current consumption could vary between each device due to manufacturing variations. This is mostly for static power consumption (leakage). Dynamic power consumption has lower process variations.

Furthermore, smaller package mean also worse power dissipation, then higher Tj which increase the consumption.

Are you able to check individual supply consumption and check if come from MP15 and still within datasheet data.

Logging Tj (from internal temperature sensor) could also be helpful.

Could also come from DDR which could increase the refresh rate with system temperature (smaller MP1 package could mean smaller PCB and smaller product enclosure, which increase overall temperature).

Thermal camera could also help to isolate potential issues due to other board components.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Dear PatrickF.

Thank you for your reply for this problem.

As like your suggestion, i'll try to check internal temp. and supply stable power using higher capacitance & artwork.

and then, I'll reply to you with results.

Thank you.

Regards.