cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32mp15 bootcount environment variable being overwritten in environment

ndziura
Associate

Im attempting to set up A/B partitioning on an STM32MP157d-dk1 board so that it can switch between partitions when updating. The board image is built using yocto, and I have used the meta-st-stm32mp layer, and am building a modified version of core-image-full-cmdline for the image.

I have set up fw_setenv and fw_printenv using the following fw_env.config file:

# Configuration file for fw_(printenv/setenv) utility.
# Up to two entries are valid, in this case the redundant
# environment sector is assumed present.
# Notice, that the "Number of sectors" is not required on NOR and SPI-dataflash.
# Futhermore, if the Flash sector size is omitted, this value is assumed to
# be the same as the Environment size, which is valid for NOR and SPI-dataflash
# Device offset must be prefixed with 0x to be parsed as a hexadecimal value.

# On a block device a negative offset is treated as a backwards offset from the
# end of the device/partition, rather than a forwards offset from the start.

# Block device example
/dev/mmcblk0p3 -0x2000 0x2000
/dev/mmcblk0p3 -0x4000 0x2000

This gives me access to the u-boot environment, and I can modify the bootlimit and upgrade_available variables without issue. However, bootcount is always overwritten on a reboot with its old value incremented by one, and it is incremented regardless of whether upgrade_available is set.

I have enabled bootcount in the uboot settings and have CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_GENERIC=y set in the defconfig.

I am guessing one of two things is happening:

The bootcount variable is being altered by some other script within the image, in which case I will need some way to find what is modifying it

Or

The bootcount variable is stored elsewhere and is applied to the uboot environment on boot, in which case I need to find this location.

I have checked the U-boot configuration and found the following options for the U-boot environment:

CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET=0x480000
CONFIG_ENV_SECT_SIZE=0x40000
CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET_REDUND=0x4C0000
CONFIG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE=y
CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_MMC=y
CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_SPI_FLASH=y
CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_UBI=y
CONFIG_ENV_UBI_PART="UBI"
CONFIG_ENV_UBI_VOLUME="uboot_config"
CONFIG_ENV_UBI_VOLUME_REDUND="uboot_config_r"

I am not sure how to interpret this to find where the uboot environment is, especially since the fw_env.config file above works for all variables except bootcount. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ndziura
Associate

Setting CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV=y and CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_LIMIT=y in the u-boot configuration before building fixes the problem. It also seems like upgrade_available is only used when CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV is set.

ndziura_0-1709246350585.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @ndziura 

not expert, but from BootROM/HW perspective, there is this information

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32MP15_backup_registers#BOOT_COUNTER

from uBoot perspective

PatrickF_0-1709213596265.png

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
ndziura
Associate

Setting CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV=y and CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_LIMIT=y in the u-boot configuration before building fixes the problem. It also seems like upgrade_available is only used when CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV is set.

ndziura_0-1709246350585.png