cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are closed MX projects still being processed?

Frank Hefter
Associate III

To focus on one project I close all the other projects.

• But still by pressing CMD-B (Mac) all MX-projects get rebuild.
  • The closed MX-projects can still be collapsed/uncollapsed.
  • Search ...
  • Problems Tab ...

This very time consuming.

I think this should not be the case by default.

7 REPLIES 7
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Sounds weird but maybe facing a common Eclipse behavior because playing with some STM32Cube "hierarchical" projects setup.

Please share on which target device are you relying ?

"Hierarchical" projects looks like:

0693W000007DdnzQAC.jpgHere I've "my H7 DC Project" which is my "main" project container.

But takes care x2 other projects are promoted (appplicative ones) ... one per cpu (here my H7 device is a dual cpu one including x1 Cortex M4 plus x1 Cortex M7)

Closing one of them is not closing others ... you have to close all by yourself.

Frank Hefter
Associate III

You are right. I only close the top project and not the subordinate projects.

Nevertheless, if I close the top project, the others below it with the other cores should also close, right?

I'm using STM32WLxx

-> Bug in STM32MX 1.5.1 ?

Frank Hefter
Associate III

Since I'm not allowed to edit my post (why?):

-> Bug in STM32CubeIDE 1.5.1

" if I close the top project, the others below it with the other cores should also close, right?" ... from common Eclipse behavior answer is: no.

Eclipse is not managing by itself action propagation thru a "hierarchical" project structure.

So if STM32CubeIDE i would not say bug but we may ask for feature request. Please rely on "Idea Zone" to promote it I guess.

Hello Frank!

This is not really a bug but more due to Eclipse common behavior. Although I can understand from a user experience you wouldn't want it to be like that. However, it is part of our scope to improve this and other functions related to hierarchical projects (such as renaming, copy etc.) but it's not part of the next release.

Hello Markus,

as a project engineer, I know that the priorities are usually on new features. But from the user's point of view, it's better if the existing functions not only work, but be perfectly.

Other C and C++ projects do close and don't show collapse/uncollapse icon anymore. This is just failing for MX projects. So I think this is an MX project issue and no Eclipse default behaviour. (I use Eclipse since V1.)

I've been using the CUBEIDE for a few months now and I'm confronted with very annoying bugs a hundred times a day.

Like the popup of the IOC editor every time I change the perspective.

Like extremely long roundtrip time of about one minute on a modern Mac system for a small program (STM32WL).

Like incorrectly generated code from the ioc tool. ("radio_driver.c -> void SUBGRF_Init( DioIrqHandler dioIrq ) .. RADIO_INIT();" is undefined)

Like the bad info when the ST-Link V2 fails (I had a cable break on the SWDIO line. I think this can be monitored, like the "board is under reset" if it was implemented).

Thanks for the answer. But it could be better.

Greetings,

Frank Hefter

@Frank Hefter​ happy Eclipse end user since first days !

1) I'm sorry to say I'm in sync. with @Markus GIRDLAND​  comment.

I've just got a try with some Eclipse + CDT vanilla projects ... "sub projects" are not closed closing "root" one (2020-12 Eclipse basis)

0693W000007Dv5CQAS.jpg 

Consider if doing a trial by yourself following file system structure:

0693W000007DvD6QAK.jpg 

2) About ioc editor popup I agree from my memory such has been reported already Thanls some post on such forum.

Sounds like a well known issue ONLY if MacOS. Related answer is claiming known issue but sorry still Eclipse native issue related managing perpective events not the same if MacOS ... Works like a charm if Linux or Windows.

By then way as I may be MacOS end user too ... I'm relying on proper preferences to get rid of such issue. Let's play with:

0693W000007Dv7rQAC.jpg 

By the way pursue enjoying Eclipse ... so nice community promoting very valuable proposal (but who can claim nowaday being bug free) !