cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VBAT pin for monitoring battery voltage in STM32 microcontroller

BKahr.1
Associate

I am updating a PCB design that uses STM32WB35XX series microcontroller and 3 V CR2032 coin cell battery. I want to monitor the voltage level of this battery using the VBAT pin of the microcontroller. I know that is possible as specified in the picture below which is a snapshot from RM0434 reference manual of the microcontroller.0693W00000WHvuIQAT.pngCan I connect the positive terminal of the battery to VBAT pin directly for this purpose or do I need additional circuitry for connecting battery to VBAT pin?

Also, about this warning in RM0434 application note, what is the value of this current? Is it equal to value of the current (IDD (BOR_PVD)) that I colored in yellow in the table in second picture?0693W00000WHvwnQAD.png0693W00000WHvwsQAD.png

2 REPLIES 2
AScha.3
Chief II

use 3,3V VDD ? then need nothing, because vdd - 0,6 = 2,7 . so injection may be, if batt is 2,7 or lower - and that is empty/dead batt anyway.

just use ch18 only for test and switch off after testing, otherwise you kill batt by permanent test current.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
TDK
Guru

> Can I connect the positive terminal of the battery to VBAT pin directly for this purpose or do I need additional circuitry for connecting battery to VBAT pin?

Yes, you can do this, provided the battery doesn't exceed the pin voltage limits. If you're running the chip directly from the battery, there is no issue.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".