cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WL55/STM32WLE5 SubGHz

awocrf
Associate

Hi,

I recently started exploring what STM32WL MCUs offer but I don't really understand a few things yet:

1. I read somewhere that these STMs are based on SX126x LoRa radio. Is that the case?

2. If so, does enabling "SUBGHZ_PHY" in middlewares in CubeIDE allow me to control this built-in radio with some simple HAL functions as if i was controlling a seperate LoRa module connected via SPI/something else?

3. Based on questions 1 and 2, can I communicate between 2 STM32WLs with LoRa as if I was using simple separate modules?

4. Can these STMs communicate with normal SX126x based modules? If so, with what chips exactly?

5. What are the differences between STM32WL55 and STM32WLE5?

I'm sorry if these questions have been answered before but either I didn't find them or I just wanted confirmation.

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @awocrf and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

1) The STM32WL is using an integrated Semtech module. This one is an SX126x adapted to be compatible with the STM32WL.

2) Enabling "SUBGHZ_PHY" middleware will give you the possibility to control the SubGHz Functionality of the STM32WL.

3) You can communicate between two STM32WL as separated nodes.

4) The STM32WL should be able to communicate with all LoRa modules available on market since they are working on the same conditions (Band,...).

5) The STM32WL55 is a Dual core MCU (cortex-M4 and cortex-M0+) but the STM32WLE5 is using only one core (cortex-M4).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @awocrf and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

1) The STM32WL is using an integrated Semtech module. This one is an SX126x adapted to be compatible with the STM32WL.

2) Enabling "SUBGHZ_PHY" middleware will give you the possibility to control the SubGHz Functionality of the STM32WL.

3) You can communicate between two STM32WL as separated nodes.

4) The STM32WL should be able to communicate with all LoRa modules available on market since they are working on the same conditions (Band,...).

5) The STM32WL55 is a Dual core MCU (cortex-M4 and cortex-M0+) but the STM32WLE5 is using only one core (cortex-M4).

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.