cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB Bluetooth and ZigBee Mesh Webinar Part1

Paolo SCANNIFFIO
Associate

Thanks for your participation to the STM32WB Bluetooth and ZigBee Mesh Webinar .

Recording of the session is here.

Following is a collection of questions received during the Q&A session we were unable to answer in real time due to time constrains.

For deep technical questions not addressed here we encourage to describe your problem in our support request form and we will reply to you as quickly as possible.

In addition, ST promote MOOCs Massive Open Online Courses where you can learn through video series

Q&A PART1. (Q&A PART2Q&A PART3

[Q] Do you have the example for the Bluetooth LE Mesh Vendor model implementation?

[A] Yes, we have it In the STM32CubeWB SDK, we have BLE_Mesh_ThermometerSensor example for STM32WB5MM-DK, which shows how to implement own vendor profile. Vendor model can be enabled in any of our BLE Mesh example by means of compilation macro.

#define ENABLE_VENDOR_MODEL_SERVER.

[Q] Can I develop my own Bluetooth LE mesh model?

[A] Yes, there are templates for Vendor model included in the package. See AN5292 - How to build a Bluetooth® Low Energy mesh application for STM32WBx5 line

microcontrollers

[Q] Is the Bluetooth LE stack loaded inside the STM32WB different if I use Bluetooth LE Mesh?

[A] Stack is the same: Bluetooth LE Mesh is built on top of standard BLE stack

[Q] Can a smartphone communicate with a Bluetooth LE mesh network without a specific app?

[A] A smartphone app talks to the Bluetooth LE Mesh network via a Proxy node. The smartphone can also use a traditional BLE GATT connection for provisioning and configuring nodes, even those that do not have the proxy capability, once configured. Additional info on BLE Mesh applications for STM32WBx5 can be found in AN5292

[Q] What is the minimum Bluetooth requirement for Bluetooth LE Mesh device?

[A] The minimum requirement for a Bluetooth Mesh device is to support Bluetooth 4.0, and Bluetooth Low Energy specifically.

[Q] Are Zigbee and Bluetooth LE stacks under payment?

[A] All the stacks ST provides for STM32WBx Series are provided free of charge and fully qualified. Refer to AN5669 for a complete overview of the certification IDs and for the product certification steps

[Q] I want to use Thread and Zigbee stacks concurrently, is this possible with the STM32WB?

[A] For concurrent mode you can combine only BLE + Thread or BLE + Zigbee.

Combination of Thread + Zigbee is not available.

[Q] How is the flash memory segregated between CM4 and CM0+? Does the Cortex M0+ core have its own flash memory?

[A] STM32WB is single flash device. Flash part used by M0+ core secured and not accessible by CM4. Border of flash secure is defined by option bytes, programed in FUS ( AN5185 ).

[Q] Which of the MCU cores inside the STM32WB can I program my application code on?

[A] Cortex-M4 alias CPU1

[Q] What is the recommended PCB stack-up / number of layers to use UFBGA129 Package?

[A] STM32WB55 features for low cost 2 layers PCB thanks to its 0.5mm pitch and special disposals of the balls. ST provides reference designs for different packages for a very fast prototyping. Additional layout recommendation can be found in AN5165

[Q] Does ST provide Modules based on STM32WB5x and STM32WB1x ?

[A] STM32WB5MMG is an already available module based on the Full featured STM32WB55VG.

A module based on STM32WB15CC will be available on early 2022.

[Q] Does ST provide code generation support for Zigbee configuration?

[A] Yes, you can refer to our STM32CubeMX configurator. Under Middleware/STM32_WPAN you can configurate your network for BLE, Zigbee and Thread Protocols

[Q] Does ST provide a solution for OTA update?

[A] Yes, OTA process is available. You can learn details about it from provided examples, AN5247 or a MOOC video training on ST MOOCs tutorial collection.

Continue on Q&A PART2

1 REPLY 1
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Hi Paolo

Thanks for this MOOC and FAQs!