cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio Peripheral Documentation

Teivaz
Associate

STM32WB SoCs have radio module. I need a way to write own wireless stack but the documentation is lacking their description.

So far documentation mentions 3 peripheral devices on APB3:

0x6000 1000 - 0x6000 1FFF 4 KB 802.15.4 CTRL

0x6000 0400 - 0x6000 07FF 1 KB Radio CTRL

0x6000 0000 - 0x6000 03FF 1 KB BLE CTRL

And 8 interrupts:

BLE_BLUE_IT BLE blue controller interrupt

BLE_RFC_IT BLE radio control interrupt

BLE_RFFMS_IT BLE radio states interrupt

BLE_HOST_WKUP BLE host wakeup interrupt

802_IT0 802.15.4 interrupt 0

802_IT1 802.15.4 interrupt 1

802_IT2 802.15.4 interrupt 2

802_HOST_WKUP 802.15.4 host wakeup interrupt

This would be great to get more information on what registers there are and how these peripherals function.

Can anyone help me with that?

12 REPLIES 12

Radio IP is usually tightly held, you'd need to be a customer of merit, have a history of radio stack work and have NDA's, etc in place.

Discuss with your local sales office.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​Clive is right.

On top of that, we do not want to open the M0+ core to customers in order to keep control on the RF stack and all the high real time constraints associated with it.

Opening this space would require much more support from us and we dont want to go that way.

Thank you. I can understand that.

Are there any plans to release this information in the future? Or maybe just for the Radio IP?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​No there is no plan, at least not that I know.

We had such discussion last year as other customers were asking for the same thing.

In the end the anwser was "not for now and not even for the mid-term".

David Abrahams
Associate II

Is there a way you could provide the radio IP as a static library that could be linked against for user-built M0 firmwares?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

This is not possible as the complete upgrade process is managed by the CPU2 core and the STM32WB chips are sold with a secure environment already loaded on it.

So no way for a customer to bypass this mechanism handled by the CPU2 core if he wants to load its own RF FW.

RKolb.1
Associate

Just a suggestion, but certain other company doesn't open their radio core for regular customers too, but they provide API for sending and receiving packets in generic format to support custom stacks. Maybe you can implement this functionality too.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

You "may" use your own RF stack but you won't benefit from the M0+ core as a RF coprocessor as it only executes code located in the secure part of the flash memory and this secure part is not accessible to any user code.

Your own RF stack would only run on the M4 core, which for sure, would limit the performance and reactivity of your device. The flexible architecture of the STM32WB would be of no interest for you as you would use one core only.

RSusi.1
Associate

Hi, we're looking for the same. We have the solution ready on Nordic platform, but from historical pov we used STM asm MCUs for our product. We we're curious if we can use STM for our proprietary RF solution. So is there any descriprion of RF module - even if you dont give us access to the M0+?