cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to broadcast message in ZigBee network using STM32WB or somehow get end devises list?

Yaroslav Vushnevsky
Associate II

I have a network consisting of a Amazon Alexa coordinator and couple of end devices. And I need to communicate somehow between end devices directly, without coordinator. So I am trying to use APS functionality. But when I try to use the broadcast address I get an error in the terminal. Is there any example of how to do this?

Also when I try to use group addressing I receive invalid argument in response (of course I made group address init as shown in Onn_Off example in repo).

So if I want to create a custom cluster - how can I use group addressing or broadcasting?

Is it right that this functionality of ZigBee not supported?

1 REPLY 1
PPREN.1
ST Employee

Hi Yaroslav,

Sorry for the delay answering this ticket.

I am not sure it will help, since multiple subjects are addressed with multiple questions. In your next support questions, don't hesitate to enter into the details, and to open multiple tickets (as long as answers are not already provided) for each problem you are getting.

Going through your text, and adding a short answer:

>Is there a way to broadcast message in ZigBee network using STM32WB AND somehow get end devises list?

The short answer is yes... and the full answer is rather complex if you have multiple routers, many hops, many distance, many devices: in such case, you need to fetch the routing table of all the routers and analyze it to get the reduce list of available devices. I let you come back to us in case this is what you need.

>And I need to communicate somehow between end devices directly... with broadcast address.

Why do you want to use broadcast address? If you want to communicate "directly", unicast is used (But to do unicast, you need to have the short address or extended address, and those addresses are dynamically provided).

>...Is there any example of how to do this? No. Not exactly what you will need anyway. And to do unicast message, apart from sending a unicast message to the coordinator, finding the address is the key to do it.

> group addressing I receive invalid... to create a custom cluster - how can I use group addressing or broadcasting?

Not enough details to answer. Please use the example applications OnOff, or go through them.

> Is it right that this functionality of ZigBee not supported?

custom cluster, unicast frame, finding the list and adresses: all of it should work. May be that the answer that you need is to use the cluster "identify" that is used in the find and bind examples. At least 3 nucleo are needed: Zigbee_Find_Bind_Coord and n.Zigbee_Find_Bind_IAS_Router2 and m.Zigbee_Find_Bind_OnOff_Router1.

Sorry again for the delay, please don't hesitate to come back to us about this issue on this ticket (or another issue on a different ticket).

Cdlt, Pascal