cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM32WL55JC1 VBAT ensures LSI Crystall maintain the RTC

HarshaHegde
Associate

Hi,

I'm using Nucleo-STM32WL55JC1. I used a coin cell to give power to Vbat and remove the sb21 link.
Now I tried the LSE as an RTC source and time works as expected even after I remove power from Vdd, I have used HAL_PWR_EnableBkUpAccess();
But when I tried to USE LSI crystal time is resuming from the last power removed but not the actual time.
for example, if I removed the power at 15:51:21 and resumed power after 5 minutes it shows 15:51:22 instead of 15:56:21.
I want to use LSI only because I don't want to have an external RTC with my board when I'm designing the customer board.
my doubt is if LSE works, even LSI also should work. as we can see in the diagram both LSE and LSI are in the same Backup domain.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 18.31.25.png

Please let me know if anything missing. 
Thank you in advance!!!

2 REPLIES 2
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @HarshaHegde 

As you can see on the paragraph 32.2 of the RM0453. The RTC is functional in VBAT mode and in all low-power modes when it is clocked by the LSE. When clocked by the LSI, the RTC is not functional in VBAT mode, but is functional in all low-power modes except Shutdown mode.

STTwo32_0-1721049562071.png

So, it will keep working in Vbat mode only will using the LSE.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

TDK
Guru

LSI stops when power is removed, so you can't use it like you want.

Note that even if you could use it, LSI accuracy is awful.

TDK_0-1721049658153.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".