cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-WL5M-SUBG1 and NUCLEO-WL55JC radio performance

RCool.1
Associate II

I have 3 Nucleo-WL55JC and 2 B-WL5M-SUBG1 systems all running same code and located within a 1 foot of each other.  Additionally I have custom sensors based on the STM32WL5MOC located 4 to 8 feet away.  The Nucleo-WL55JC modules report rssi values between -50 and -60 dBm.  The B-WL5M-SUBG1 modules report rssi values between -100 and -110 dBm.

Physical range test suggest these reads are real.  As I move the sensors away the B-WL5M-SUBG1 lose the ability to receive the packets much sooner than the Nucleo-WL55JC.  

Note the reads above are based on unmodified modules. 

There is a footprint on the B-WL5M-SUBG1 modules for a pi filter in the antenna line.  The factory configuration is a single serial 0 ohm resistors which is not performing very well.

The datasheet for the for the STM32WL5MOC states that for 915MHz operation:

"Max output power 21 dBm is obtained for Z load = 63 + j×22".

I have tried adjusting the impedance seen by the STM32WL5MOC on the B-WL5M-SUBG1 using the pi filter and have been unable to significantly improve the performance - I can't get anywhere near matching the Nucleo-WL55JC rssi.

Can the B-WL5M-SUBG1 be configured to work as well as the Nucleo-WL55JC?  If so any suggestions on how to make that happen would be very helpful.

0 REPLIES 0