cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX Designer 4.19.1 freezes

GMeta.1
Associate II

I have a problem with version 4.19.1 of the designer in that it regularly freezes when trying to look at either a different container in the canvas view or a different screen. It is generally a bit slow moving between items, but lately it just locks up completely with the CPU at around 8%. If I try to close the app from the taskbar, it pops up a box asking if I want to save, discard or cancel, but it doesn't accept any keyboard or mouse input so the only way to kill it is via the task manager.

It's pretty much unusable at the moment for the large-ish project that I've got now and I know there is a newer version but I can't upgrade that now that I've started this project otherwise I'll run into all sorts of issues with newer versions of the library etc.

I've tried killing all other apps and have plenty of memory available, so not sure what else to do.

2 REPLIES 2
Yoann KLEIN
ST Employee

Hello @GMeta.1,

As you said, there is newer versions. We did a big improvement after v. 4.21.2 on the way TouchGFXDesigner handles large applications.

Which kind of library issues are you referring to ?

Yoann KLEIN
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX
GMeta.1
Associate II

Hi. It's not a specific library issue I'm thinking of, it's just that in the past it can be more trouble than its worth updating an IDE especially one that produces projects used in other IDEs. If I did upgrade then there might be trouble with the version of Visual Studio I'm using (2017 I think) and then there would be STM32Cube IDE that might have to change. I'd obviously have to insist that other members in the team upgrade too.

We've had issues with MCUXpresso when trying to upgrade or worse still upgrading an SDK as well as the IDE and so we now adopt a policy that we stick with a specific IDE version once we've started a project and only update the tools if there is a significant new wave of development.

I did get to use the IDE for a few hours yesterday before it locked up so it's not quite as bad and I just remember to save as soon as I change anything.