cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST boards and 10" touch screens?

Lalogarcia91
Associate II

Hello people.

First of all... I haven't worked with screen displays before, sorry if this post sounds dumb:

Now that I said the above:

I want to interact with any ST board GPIO through GUI buttons. I also want to do this on a "big" touch screen with great quality and not the 2-3" LCD screens that usually come with the boards.

1. Where can I find 10" LCD screens with great quality for this purpose? 

2. Which IDE will be better to draw the GUI? I have seen many, some are free and some are not (I use CubeIDE for everything not related to screens).

3. How can I communicate the GUI buttons with any ST board? Is it by I2C? Or I should instead use the GPIO of the board that runs the screen?

I hope I made myself clear enough to get pointed to the right direction.

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Lalogarcia91 ,

Riverdi offers boards with large displays with great quality which are accompanied by STM32 MCUs. Having those boards, then you can use TouchGFX to develop your GUI easily. TouchGFX provides you the necessary tools and settings for handling the communication between the GPIOs and the GUI. 
There are plenty of tutorials and documentations to help you get started with TouchGFX. You can also continue editing your project in STM32CubeIDE. 

Please take a look at the available documentations, and if you needed more help, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Mohammad MORADI
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hello @Lalogarcia91 ,

Riverdi offers boards with large displays with great quality which are accompanied by STM32 MCUs. Having those boards, then you can use TouchGFX to develop your GUI easily. TouchGFX provides you the necessary tools and settings for handling the communication between the GPIOs and the GUI. 
There are plenty of tutorials and documentations to help you get started with TouchGFX. You can also continue editing your project in STM32CubeIDE. 

Please take a look at the available documentations, and if you needed more help, don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Mohammad MORADI

Hello again @Lalogarcia91 ,

Have you managed to get your project going?

Mohammad MORADI

Usually not about size, but resolution.

Most of the STM32 MCU are limited to around 1388x768 (or about 1.0-1.2 Mpixel), due to bandwidth constraints.

Several vendors that specialize in bare panels, other in subsystems, shouldn't be hard to narrow down

RGB screens will need MCU with lots of pins. The MIPI/DSI displays need less pins, but are usually a different model of STM32, a differentiation for licencing / IP purposes.

High resolution you'll want wider memories, 32-bit data path, and again more pins. And at these resolutions at least 8MB for frame buffers, etc.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

How can I communicate the GUI buttons with any ST board? Is it by I2C?

Yes, according to the Riverdi documentation their ilitek touch screen interface to STM32 is I2C with interrupt pin. See here.

STM32 pins are also routed to the extension connector of the board. Wire on it anything you like.

I'm closing this ticket due to inactivity for a long time

Best regards,

Mohammad MORADI

SmartEmbedded is another one doing displays (up to 10.1") accompanied by STM32 MCUs:

https://smartembeddeddisplay.com/

https://smartembeddeddisplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/SE-Product-overview-NOV.2022-ver-1.3-Final-08112022.pdf

Another possibility would be to use something like a Raspberry Pi with a large display - either to replace the STM32, or to communicate with an STM32.

Oh, Hello Mohammsd.. So sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation at this time.

I got in contact with Riverdi and they point me in the right direction on which disolay screen to get. And I'm getting one on the next weeks, since I'm still working on another part of the project (commercial product). I hope to ise Riverdi screen once I start making the tests on the next weeks.

Thanks a lot.

Time to mark the solution, then?

Yes, definitely. I took a look to Smart Embedded Displays too. And they look promising, I will definitely give them a shot if Riverdi GUI is slower to code. At the end of the day, the faster we code while perserving reliability, the better... I definitely resolved my question, you guys pointed me in the right path. There's no more here, I'm sure others will find this thread helpful on the future.

Thanks a lot, and aorry for late reply. I've been busy!