cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prototype on NUCLEO-F767ZI, but use STM32L4Rx for final build? Any considerations to keep in mind?

RMora.4
Associate III

Hello kind community,

I'm using the STM32 chip and the LTDC module as a dedicated TFT LCD display driver. Right now I am using the NUCLEO-F767ZI for prototyping, but would like to use an STM32L4R/Px chip for the final build. I don't anticipate it being a challenge to transfer my firmware from the F7 to L4 chip but I am not sure if there is a gap in my thinking.

Once I get a hold of an L4 chip, I anticipate generating the initialization code for it using STM32CubeMX then copying the code I will write for the F7 over to the L4 firmware. I haven't worked enough with STM32 MCU's but I assume these all use the same LTDC library so any modification in the code will be limited to initialization code and the rest of the LTDC related code will stay the same? I will use the same package for prototype and final build (144 LQFP) so I don't anticipate problems there as long as I stay consistent with the pin assignments/schematic. Is there any other consideration I am missing that might make this a larger challenge or should this really be as straight forward as I make it sound?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @RMora.4​ ,

Thanks for having reported. As far as I can understand, you want to import your LTDC project based on STM32F767ZI to an STM32L4Rx device. Please correct me if I've missed something.

What I can recommend in this situation is the use of Cross Selector feature integrated in the STM32CubeMX tool, it allows you to find products of the STM32 portfolio that best replace the STM32F767ZI MCU you was using ( you will find a detailed description of this functionality in CubeMX User Manual- 4.2.4 Cross selector section:(

0693W00000DqFjHQAV.png 

Once you choose STM32L4Rx MCU you'll work with, you can start a new project based on that MCU ( STM32L4R7ZITx for instance which is matching up to 77% the STM32F767ZI device) and without doing any further changes, use the Import Project menu that imports the previously-saved configuration with NUCLEO-F767ZI to another MCU (STM32L4Rx). By default the following settings will be imported:

• Pinout tab: MCU pins and corresponding peripheral modes. The import fails if the same peripheral instances are not available in the target MCU.
  • Clock configuration tab: clock tree parameters.
  • Configuration tab: peripherals and middleware libraries initialization parameters.
  • Project settings: choice of toolchain and code generation options.

0693W00000DqFptQAF.pngYou can refer to the STM32CubeMX User Manual for more details about all the tool feature.

Otherwise, The STM32CubeL4 MCU Package is delivered with a rich set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards. One of this examples can be a good start point to launch your project based on STM32L4Rx PN:

0693W00000DqFtvQAF.pngYou'll find the table resuming the available examples in the STM32Cube MCU Package examples for STM32L4 Serie Application Note.

Hope this tips help you.

Khouloud.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @RMora.4​ ,

Thanks for having reported. As far as I can understand, you want to import your LTDC project based on STM32F767ZI to an STM32L4Rx device. Please correct me if I've missed something.

What I can recommend in this situation is the use of Cross Selector feature integrated in the STM32CubeMX tool, it allows you to find products of the STM32 portfolio that best replace the STM32F767ZI MCU you was using ( you will find a detailed description of this functionality in CubeMX User Manual- 4.2.4 Cross selector section:(

0693W00000DqFjHQAV.png 

Once you choose STM32L4Rx MCU you'll work with, you can start a new project based on that MCU ( STM32L4R7ZITx for instance which is matching up to 77% the STM32F767ZI device) and without doing any further changes, use the Import Project menu that imports the previously-saved configuration with NUCLEO-F767ZI to another MCU (STM32L4Rx). By default the following settings will be imported:

• Pinout tab: MCU pins and corresponding peripheral modes. The import fails if the same peripheral instances are not available in the target MCU.
  • Clock configuration tab: clock tree parameters.
  • Configuration tab: peripherals and middleware libraries initialization parameters.
  • Project settings: choice of toolchain and code generation options.

0693W00000DqFptQAF.pngYou can refer to the STM32CubeMX User Manual for more details about all the tool feature.

Otherwise, The STM32CubeL4 MCU Package is delivered with a rich set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards. One of this examples can be a good start point to launch your project based on STM32L4Rx PN:

0693W00000DqFtvQAF.pngYou'll find the table resuming the available examples in the STM32Cube MCU Package examples for STM32L4 Serie Application Note.

Hope this tips help you.

Khouloud.

RMora.4
Associate III

Thank you this has definitely helped!