Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo-f767zi and x-nucleo-GFX02zi CubeMX and HelloWorld

Carsten73
Associate III

Hello,

I am new at the STM32 World. 

I started to buy a nucleo-f767zi and it worked fine. 

I was not able to get the debug Console running. Like other too. 

Because of that I bought the extension Board  x-nucleo-GFX02zi which should be working fine with the F767ZI. 

Now I tried with CubeMX to installed the Hello World Example provided.

But now I get the Message that these Packets is not Support with CubeMX 6.11. It should be support by Version 6.7 until 6.8.2.

I tested 6.8.2 and 6.8 but without any changes. It seams like the SPI does not fit together. Always I got no solution found. 

Does the GFX02zi can be used with the F767ZI? Or do I have to everything new. 

I am going a bit crazy. 

Is there anyway a working step by Step intruduction for Add a Display to a STM32. 

Thanks for any help 

best regards

Carsten 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @Carsten73 and welcome to the community!

So you are trying to use the "Hello World" example from STM32CubeMx?

I am not a STM32CubeMx expert, it seems like using an older version of STM32CubeMx should have solved your problem but it did not :| .

I recommend you to create a new thread clearly stating your issue related to STM32CubeMx on the sub forum specific to STM32CubeMx : stm32cubemx-forum 

Yes, the STM32F767 nucleo board is compatible with the GFX02z1, see this link : x-nucleo-gfx02z1 

Is there anyway a working step by Step intruduction for Add a Display to a STM32. 

Yes, we made multiple guides on our documentation : TouchGFX documentation 
There is specific documentation about how to "create a custom board" : development-introduction 

Keep in mind that starting on a new environment is not easy at first (especially in the embedded world) but I personally think that ST made a great work keeping it as simple as possible and as clear as possible.

Also, doing graphics in embedded systems is another difficulty because of the limited resources of embedded devices. Here at TouchGFX we did the heavy lifting, but there is still some specific setups to do.

To help adding your display to the STM32h767, the easiest could be to Download TouchGFX and create a new project that is using a GFX02Z1 (the only ones we have are using a STM32U575 or a STM32H563). By doing that, you will have a working project that could be flashed into the mentioned boards, this is what we call a TBS (TouchGFX Board Setup). You can use this TBS to setup your own board (STM32F767) as it would be similar in some ways.

Finally, to learn about STM32 in general, I would recommend you to watch the Digikey Youtube series : Digikey STM32 
and to look at the ST Academy : ST Academy 

I hope this helps you, if it does, I invite you to select this comment as "best answer".

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Software engineer at ST (TouchGFX)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Carsten73
Associate III

Hi, 

i Started from scratch with the MCU only instead of the Nucleo Board. 

The Problem is the memory and SPI configuration

Carsten73_0-1715930918979.png

How can I fix these?

Thanks

Carsten

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @Carsten73 and welcome to the community!

So you are trying to use the "Hello World" example from STM32CubeMx?

I am not a STM32CubeMx expert, it seems like using an older version of STM32CubeMx should have solved your problem but it did not :| .

I recommend you to create a new thread clearly stating your issue related to STM32CubeMx on the sub forum specific to STM32CubeMx : stm32cubemx-forum 

Yes, the STM32F767 nucleo board is compatible with the GFX02z1, see this link : x-nucleo-gfx02z1 

Yes, we made multiple guides on our documentation : TouchGFX documentation 
There is specific documentation about how to "create a custom board" : development-introduction 

Keep in mind that starting on a new environment is not easy at first (especially in the embedded world) but I personally think that ST made a great work keeping it as simple as possible and as clear as possible.

Also, doing graphics in embedded systems is another difficulty because of the limited resources of embedded devices. Here at TouchGFX we did the heavy lifting, but there is still some specific setups to do.

To help adding your display to the STM32h767, the easiest could be to Download TouchGFX and create a new project that is using a GFX02Z1 (the only ones we have are using a STM32U575 or a STM32H563). By doing that, you will have a working project that could be flashed into the mentioned boards, this is what we call a TBS (TouchGFX Board Setup). You can use this TBS to setup your own board (STM32F767) as it would be similar in some ways.

Finally, to learn about STM32 in general, I would recommend you to watch the Digikey Youtube series : Digikey STM32 
and to look at the ST Academy : ST Academy 

I hope this helps you, if it does, I invite you to select this comment as "best answer".

Regards,

Gaetan Godart
Carsten73
Associate III

Hello Gaetan, 

thanks for your response and sorry for add my post to the wrong forum. You are right. I add it to the correct CubeMX place. 

I will try to follow your Guidance to TouchGFX. 

Thanks 

carsten 

Hi Gaetan,

I followed your guidance to use Touchgfx instead and use the starting Point of a existing Example for the LCD Board with STM32U575.

See the image attached. If i go in detail, no example is available. The resolution does not fit and I am not able to choose one to move forward. 

Carsten73_0-1715971859805.png

Thanks

Carsten

Hello @Carsten73 ,

Yes, we don't have examples for 240*320 pixels screen.

You should be able to create a blank UI :

GaetanGodart_0-1716281982730.png

From there you can add elements in Designer.

If you really want to see how examples work, you can just select them without selecting a board but instead selecting the simulator.

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

Hi Gaetan,

thanks for your support. 

I bought this Display to be able to test very fast the LCD and Touch possibilies before I go in deep with custom Board and Custom LCD. 

I believed this would be the fastest way to get a result. 
This is not true, I learned.

To use and integrated this GFX02z1 I have to go very deep into it. I have to Analyse the environment used on existing projects with differents Boards. Take a deep look into it and have to transport these information to my Board.

More or less the same as with a custom Boards.

Maybe this is my fault, but this is nothing to evaluate very fast.

I have to buy a different touch LCD with a more or less standard SPI Controller and integrate it.
This will be much faster as this Board.

Please tell me, that I wrong and have here some missunderstandings.

Regards
Carsten

Hello @Carsten73 ,

I believed this would be the fastest way to get a result. 
This is not true, I learned.

Indeed, this is not the fastest way to get a result.

The very fastest way to get a result is to use a demo/discovery board that already have a fully functional TBS in Designer such as the stm32h7s78-dk or the stm32u5g9j-dk2 .

The second fastest way is what you have done : use parts that are used in some of our TBS. This way you can look at the TBS we made to get inspiration. For instance, since you use the same screen, you know that the screen timing have to be the same.

Finally, the longest way is to create a custom board with a specific MCU, memories and screen.

To use and integrated this GFX02z1 I have to go very deep into it. I have to Analyse the environment used on existing projects with differents Boards. Take a deep look into it and have to transport these information to my Board.

More or less the same as with a custom Boards.

Yes, you will have to do some work and go into the datasheet. The TBS we provide will give you some direction to go in and some relevant comparison.

Maybe this is my fault, but this is nothing to evaluate very fast.

I have to buy a different touch LCD with a more or less standard SPI Controller and integrate it.
This will be much faster as this Board.

Please tell me, that I wrong and have here some missunderstandings.

Again, the fastest way is to get a "plug and play" discovery board but with your current setup you will have to do some initialization that will help you understand TouchGFX and which will help you get your fully custom board running faster.

I think both methods are ok but the fastest way to get TouchGFX up and running is to use a discovery board that already have a TBS.

I hope this clears things. If it doesn't, feel free to ask more questions.

Regards,

Gaetan Godart

thanks. 

Besides the LCD I need a lot of avaible SPI, GPIO, i2C (ADC & DAC), Timers  for the real use cases. 

Both Boards which you recommended seams not to have these. Maybe I have to go again through extension Boards or Daughterboards to add on. 

But this is not clearly explained. 

I spent yesterday to choose a existing discovery Board but I failed. 

regards

Carsten

GaetanGodart
ST Employee

Hello @Carsten73 ,

Indeed, the discovery board do not have many pin available. But the MCU they use have plenty of pins and plenty of communication pins, GPIO pins or even converter pins.
Once you move forward with your prototype, you can create a custom PCB to fit your specific needs.

Regards,

Gaetan Godart