cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Plotting ECG Data Using UART ECG Module with TouchGFX

smj-11
Associate III

I’m currently working on a project where I need to interface an ECG module with a microcontroller and plot the ECG data on a display using TouchGFX. Here’s a brief overview of what I’m trying to achieve:

1. Hardware Setup:

• I’m using an ECG module connected via UART to my microcontroller.
    • The microcontroller is interfacing with a 10.1-inch display.
  2. Software Setup:

• The data from the ECG module is received via UART and processed in real-time.
    • I need to plot this ECG data dynamically on the TouchGFX display.
  3. Current Approach:

• I’m using DMA for UART data transfer to efficiently handle the incoming ECG data.
    • The data is processed and parsed into the relevant ECG channels.
    • I’m looking to update the ECG waveform on the TouchGFX screen in real-time.
  4. Challenges:

• Ensuring smooth real-time plotting of the ECG waveform on the TouchGFX display.
    • Handling the synchronization between UART data reception and TouchGFX updates.
    • Efficiently managing the display updates without impacting the performance of other tasks in my RTOS setup.
  5. Questions:

• Has anyone successfully implemented real-time ECG plotting with TouchGFX? If so, could you share your approach or provide any tips?
    • What are the best practices for integrating UART data reception with TouchGFX updates?
    • Are there any specific TouchGFX components or techniques that you recommend for efficiently plotting real-time data?

Any guidance, examples, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Osman SOYKURT
ST Employee

Hello @smj-11 ,

We have an article on our documentation website that I believe answers your question. You can also find examples of communication between your TouchGFX application and external inputs in the Demos section of TouchGFX Designer. Please check these resources first and if you need further assistance, feel free to reach out, and we'll be happy to help with your specific questions.

Osman SOYKURT
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX
smj-11
Associate III

Hello Osman,

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked the documentation and tried implementing the solution. However, when I add a grid, the waveform shrinks, which I wasn't expecting.

Do you have any insights into what might be causing this behavior? Could it be related to the graph scaling or layout constraints? I'd appreciate any further guidance on how to resolve this issue.