cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linker errors updating from older touchgfx

GMeta.1
Associate II

So I bit the bullet and upgraded my touchgfx from 4.19.1 to 4.24.1 because the older version was unusable in that it locked up as soon as you looked at it.

Now I have several linker errors after I have generated code from the designer in my stm32cubeide project:

undefined reference to `touchgfx::paint::rgb565::lineFromColor(unsigned short*, unsigned int, unsigned long, unsigned char, unsigned long)'

This post here seemed to have the same problem but I don't understand why it mentioned cubemx? Surely when I click on F4 from designer it generates all the code needed for my stm32cubeIDE project? Or at least it used to. CubeMX is dealing with .ioc files which my project doesn't have, I have a .cproject which opens with stm32cubeide.

There is talk of 'regenerating the files' from the IDE. What does this mean? A clean build or a refresh?

How do I somehow update my cubeIDE to match the new version of designer (this is what I want)?

This is why I don't normally update IDEs halfway through a project because now I am stuck in limbo and cannot move forward. I shudder to think what will happen when I try and build my simulator build using Visual Studio because that will probably be broken as well. These ST tools are a nightmare to work with especially the ones that generate files for other IDEs.

1 REPLY 1

Hello @GMeta.1,

You need the latest versions of STM32CubeMX and STM32CubeIDE to ensure the best compatibility between your project files. When you use TouchGFX 4.24.1, the generated files for a TouchGFX Board Setup (TBS) are also based on the latest version of STM32CubeMX since TouchGFX and STM32CubeMX are tightly coupled. 

To be honest, I am a bit confused by your statement that you are using TouchGFX in your project without an .ioc file. I assume you already have a project in TouchGFX 4.19.1 and you want to upgrade it to 4.24.1. 

First, create a backup of your old project, then right-click on the .touchgfx file and open it with TouchGFX 4.24.1.
Then, open a new instance of TouchGFX 4.24.1, select the platform that you are developing on (for instance, STM32F469I Disco), and create a project:

STM32F469I Disco TBSSTM32F469I Disco TBS

After that, click on Edit -> Import -> GUI. In the new opened window, click Browse and look for the project you converted to TouchGFX 4.24.1:

Import GUIImport GUI

Now, you have your GUI in TouchGFX 4.24.1, and you should be able to run the simulator with no issues. 
It is worth mentioning that you need to reapply the settings and custom code you have for the hardware parts (code related to the main.c file, UART connections, etc.)

I hope this helps you! 
Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any

Mohammad MORADI
ST Software Developer | TouchGFX