cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I control Micro OLED display without special drivers or controllers over SPI or I2Cjust using the embedded LCTD controller.

lucky_stew
Associate II

Hello,

I didn't found any answers for this so I would like to know if I can control micro oled display (high resolution, small density oled, 0.23", VGA res. or something little bit higher) in my smart glasses using some of STM 32 bit MCUs, ik external RAM for frame buffer is necessity? Can I achieve this using the packed LCD TFT controller over some of the serial ports like SPI, I2C? (more about the display in replies)

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

Generally not. Those small monochrome or limited color OLED displays typically have onboard RAM for storing the image and only expose an I2C or SPI interface. The SPI interface is plenty fast enough to keep up with a reasonable framerate.

Generally, anything with full color (8+ bpp) and reasonable resolution, say 320x240 or higher, will be able to be driven with the LCD-TFT controller.

Find the display you want and see what pins it exposes. That will tell you how it can be driven. Don't think you'll find VGA resolution at 0.23".

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Well I'm using some very expensive (like around a hundred bucks) display like from sony which is full color 24bit 0.23" and VGA (look for yourself https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/microdisplay/oled/product.html) and is used in these types of applications. and as you can see it exposes the whole flex connector. it is the ECX336B or ECX336C.

That's pretty cool. I guess for displays in camera viewfinders or VR headsets it may make sense for such high dpi.
You would need the datasheet to find out what interfaces it supports. I doubt it supports I2C or SPI. I can't find a datasheet for it.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Well I just found this display, I'm of course going to use some that definitely uses I2C or SPI (e.g. panox has very cheap high res I2C interface and even both monochrome and full color https://www.panoxdisplay.com/micro-display/0-39-inch-micro-oled-1024x768-rgb-i2c.html I've already contacted them they have very great support and also the price was satisfying at just 75 dollars) but if it would really have this type of communication would i really be able to run it (because there are virtually no controllers or drivers what so ever for this type of displays. Anyways, im going to contact Sony if they will be able to provide me with the datasheet.