Did you mean: 

being a core_release version, should not have full_path_file inside .a file

RichardLC
Associate

version 4.19.1

platform: CORTEX_M7 + IAR 8.X

file name: touchgfx_core_release.a

file location: \4.19.1\touchgfx\lib\core\cortex_m7\IAR8.x

can we build the .a file? if not, have you disable asset() in release version? or if you still prefer to keep assert() in release version, please add --no_path_in_file_macros in IAR option, because not any end user will interested the path of c:\jenkins\workspace\... which increase code size of application.

Thanks

Richard L.

0693W00000UonXJQAZ.png

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Is there a question? Are you asking how to get in CubeIDE (gcc) the same effect as with the IAR compiler option?

If so - gcc has a similar option since v.8.

sorry the question may not clear,

• we use IAR only in our project, so I don't know about gcc, our setup is to include/link the library file (.a file) directly into our project in IAR, the precompiled .a file is from the download pack.
  • since the .a file include some debug messages which is not necessary and we want to keep our code size as small as possible, so question really becomes to
    • 'can we build the static_release_version of the `touchgfx_core_release.a` file?
    • if not, can you provide the static release lib file (like .a above) with out debug information?

Thank you for the quick response.

Richard L.

@RichardLC - Hi Richard, did you find a resolution to this. I'm struggling with the same issue as I would like to generate the same binary file on different machines for QA purposes. We're using IAR as well, but the touchgfx_core_release.a file makes this impossible.

Thanks

Isn't this like a debug record in the ELF object/library, so it can associate a break point or trace back to a specific file / function / line ?

I can see leaking the data into a final binary image is problematic*, but is that what we're talking about, or assert()s with __FILE__ designations? If it's static data, then you need to get the library rebuilt cleanly, from whomever owns it.

*Been doing forensics for 30 years. I clean and strip a lot of my stuff. Lot of *** removed from .ELF's I post, makes them a lot smaller.  https://github.com/cturvey/stm32extldr/blob/main/u5_w25q128/CLIVEONE-W25Q128_STM32U545-PB10-PA4-PB1-PB0-PA7-PA6.stldr

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..