cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data security over LoRa

Shivaprasad
Associate II

I am worried about the data that i send through the STM32WL55JC if any outsider with the same board and using the same frequency in receiver mode ,can also get the data that i am sending through the transmitter using same frequency ,How do i secure my data .

4 REPLIES 4
AScha.3
Chief II

>if any outsider with the same board and using the same frequency in receiver mode ,can also get the data that i am sending through the transmitter using same frequency 

Right, but this is basically the same "security" , you have with the pin number on your credit card:

if "outsider" uses the matching 4 digits - he can use it.

So "security" here is just : its very unlikely, that someone will use by chance exactly your setting, at your frequency and parameters:

AScha3_0-1717054208495.png

But depending also on: who want to catch your messages ? The CIA , because you are under suspicion of terrorism ? Then they will decode it ... btw i was talking with the manufacturer of automatic RF monitoring for military or civil use, and that time these machines could watch thousands of frequency channels at same time and decode, if there is something "suspicious" . And get the position of the transmitter in less than 30 seconds to few meters precision, for example a mobile phone in 50 km distance.

>How do i secure my data

If you want more security for the data: same as always , use encryption ; read about using the AES etc. in rm:

AScha3_1-1717055451388.png

AScha3_2-1717055490099.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Do you mean just LoRa, or LoRaWAN ?

LoRa is just a radio modulation scheme, so everything - including security - is down to you to design & implement.

LoRaWAN is a complete wide-area network specification - which includes security:

https://lora-alliance.org/security/ 

https://lora-alliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/lorawan_security_whitepaper.pdf

Hi..

I am using STM32WL 55 JC where I have configured my Hardware likedoubt7.JPG

I have used Lora modulation parameters.

Please use this button to properly post source code - not as an image:

AndrewNeil_0-1717061722144.png

@Shivaprasad wrote:

I have used Lora modulation parameters.

But are you using that in a LoRaWAN network ?

Again, if you're just using the LoRa modulation alone, that gives you no security at all - just like any other RF modulation, it is just broadcasting into the ether, and can be received by any compatible receiver.

If you want to secure the messages that you are sending, then you will have to do that yourself (ie, in your code) - just as if you were using any other modulation scheme.