Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start on STM32?

henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on September 02, 2013 at 12:09

Hi,

Long time programmer for 8-bit mcus and just wanted to move my skills to STM32. Looked at some datasheets and found them to be daunting for me.

Any suggestions on how / how to start efficiently?
4 REPLIES 4
jj2
Associate II
Posted on September 02, 2013 at 18:56

''Long time programmer for 8-bit mcus...daunting...''  Feel your pain - suspect that describes many here - and few (none) would go/look back!

In our group's case (small 15+ yr. firm) clients tore beloved 8051 enhanced device from our cold, bloody fingers.  (i.e. upgrade MCU performance - or else!)  Ten years back - ARMs were just poised to become affordable.  And now - very much mainstream - great support & price erosion... 

Add to Clive's excellent/detailed advice our suggestion to invest in several of the new M0 Eval Boards.  (sub 10USD - ''

STM32F0DISCOVERY Kit.''

)  You could not come close to this price via ''custom'' - and starting w/''known good'' HW - so important.  F0 is the most basic of this bunch - KISS argues that you start small - expand as your knowledge base & needs dictate.

You'll need an IDE - free ''code-size limited'' versions (IAR, Keil) get you up/running quickly - if time & mental health are considerations...

Armed w/that board, IDE, and many code examples and serious read of MCU manual - adventure awaits...

ee06091
Associate III
Posted on September 03, 2013 at 11:14

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~geobrown/book.pdf

+1

It is a really good book and cover all the aspects from the beginning 🙂