cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWAP_BANK, OB launch, and spurious resets

SZano
Associate III

With STM32L562, I'm implementing a firmware update strategy using the double flash bank.
I write the new firmware in the second bank, then toggle the FLASH_OPTR_SWAP_BANK option bit, and then trigger a reset with OBL_LAUNCH.
To write to the second bank (and to erase it), I need to know which bank is the secondary one (i.e. the one not currently mapped at the lowest address). To do that, I read the FLASH_OPTR_SWAP_BANK bit.

If I toggle this bit, and then a reset occurs (not an OBL_LAUNCH nor a BOR reset; for instance an IWDG reset), will the option bytes be loaded?
The reference manual (RM0438 Rev 7, p.193) states:
Option bytes loading (OBL) is performed in two cases:
– When OBL_LAUNCH bit is set in the Flash non-secure control register (FLASH_NSCR).
– After a power reset (BOR reset or exit from Standby/Shutdown modes).

So, it seems that the option bytes would not be loaded in case of an IWDG reset.
But if they aren't, then I would read a FLASH_OPTR_SWAP_BANK that is not the one actually in use. That is, I would read the one that is set in flash, and not the one that determined the bank memory mapping.
Then, I could start a new firmware update, and in trying to erase the second bank, I would choose the wrong bank, effectively erasing my primary bank, killing the entire application.

How can I prevent this problem?
Should I read the reset cause at every startup (RCC_CSR_OBLRSTF, RCC_CSR_PINRSTF, etc.), and always try an OBL_LAUNCH, so that the option bytes are certainly reloaded, and only continue to the application once I see that the reset is indeed an OBL_LAUNCH reset (RCC_CSR_OBLRSTF) ?

Edit:

From experiments, the option bytes are reverted to their previous value (the latest loaded one, not the latest written one) upon a software reset or an IWDG reset.
Is this behavior reliable?

1 REPLY 1
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @SZano

1. To know which bank is the secondary, you can check the memory location of code being executed.
  2. Option bytes would not be loaded in case of an IWDG reset as referenced in the reference manual.
  3. The explanation behind your question is detailed: On system reset rising, internal option registers are copied into option registers. These registers are also used to modify the option bytes. Note: The embedded Flash memory can be programmed using in-circuit programming ICP or in-application programming IAP which allows the user to reprogram the Flash while the application is running. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.