cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest a low cost small footprint STM32 IC for automotive application

prakashdandekar
Associate II

Hello,

I am quite conversant with STM32F401, 411, L476 etc. 

I am looking for a tiny 8-pin MCU that will have 1 analog input and 2 or 3  digital outputs. If 8-pin is not available in 20 pin TSSOP package will do.  

I request the users to help me with selecting a low-end 32-bit MCU. major requirements are:

1. The cost should be small.

2. The power consumption is not important and many other features are not required. 

3. I was thinking of using something small device such as  STM32G030x6/x8 that comes in SO8N & TSSOP package.

4. From a software developer's point of view, it would be nice, if it has got an evaluation board such as Nucleo or Discovery or Bluepill, for fast development. 

5. Should be easy to program/flash in mass prduction. 

6. I do not wish to use 8-bit or 16-bit MCUs for this application.

Thanks to all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @prakashdandekar and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

I suggest you to use the MCU/MPU filters of CubeMX to make a choice about whish product will be the best for your needs:

STTwo32_0-1702024694145.png

Also, you can take a look at the available board for each MCU series looking at the Board Selector of CubeMX:

STTwo32_1-1702024803583.png

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @prakashdandekar and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

I suggest you to use the MCU/MPU filters of CubeMX to make a choice about whish product will be the best for your needs:

STTwo32_0-1702024694145.png

Also, you can take a look at the available board for each MCU series looking at the Board Selector of CubeMX:

STTwo32_1-1702024803583.png

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

However, it must also be said that no STM32 is certified for automotive applications.

So if you need an MCU with AEC-Q documents and PPAP etc., you will not be satisfied with packages with 8 or 20 pins.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
prakashdandekar
Associate II

Thanks Peter for showing me approriate path to select right MCU for my needs. I also found an excellent video that gave a quick overview about different families and which family should be preferred for which application.  

3775 Different STM32 MCU´s What to use . Plus Clock Configuration in CubeMX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3EqvwQ8Xw&ab_channel=PRTechTalk

Using the video I decided to checkout STM32Cxx family and selected one 8-pin MCU STM32C011J6M6 or J4M6. It meets my basic requirements.  

I found that nearest dev board available is Nucleo--C031C6. That is supported as a platform in mbed Studio.

My questions are:

1. If I write code using mbed Studio on Nucleo--C031C6, will I be able to download and run it in C011? The smallest pin count available in C031 family is TSSOP20 in STM32CO31C6. 

2. It seems both these MCUs C011 and C031 do not have EEPROM memory. Is there any small pin count MCU that has EEPROM? 

Thanks. 

How often might settings change? FLASH can be used if it might change a few hundred or thousand times at service intervals.

The STM32L011 has small size parts and 512 bytes of EEPROM. The 16KB of FLASH can be a bit limiting 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
prakashdandekar
Associate II

Thanks    Tesla DeLorean.

The settings are put only once in flash memory so using flash memory to store constants is possible. Is there any library available that stores numbers in a flash area apart from code area? My understanding is that, just before any code file is burnt, entire flash memory is erased.  

I will definitely checkup STM32L011. I will also check its prices vis-a-vis prices of STM32C011J4M6.