cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U031 LPTIM1 not starting with Single Start mode

Nick McKendree
Associate II

I am using a STM32U031 part with register level configuration (no Cube libraries). The Timer should be straight forward to start in a single-shot mode but when I set the LPTIM_CR_SNGSTRT flag in the CR register, the CNT register never increments and the SNGSTART flag never shows up in the SFRs window when debugging. 

If I run the timer in continuous mode, it works okay. 

I know the reference manual talks about a delay after enabling the timer. I've tried adding a 100us delay as a test after enabling it and it didn't work. Besides the code below works with continuous mode and it also doesn't work when stepping through with the debugger. 

// I also tried just clearing LPTIM_CR_ENABLE which didn't work. This was another approach that I think I saw in the reference manual. It doesn't work either.
RCC->APBRSTR1 |= RCC_APBRSTR1_LPTIM1RST;
RCC->APBRSTR1 &= ~RCC_APBRSTR1_LPTIM1RST;

// Only modify CFGR register when disabled
LPTIM1->CFGR &= ~LPTIM_CFGR_PRESC_Msk;
LPTIM1->CFGR |= (prescale_powers_of_2 << LPTIM_CFGR_PRESC_Pos);
// Tried with and without WAVE and TIMOUT as a test, no mix would work. 
LPTIM1->CFGR|= (LPTIM_CFGR_WAVE | LPTIM_CFGR_TIMOUT);

/* enable the LPTMR and start single shot counting. Timer must be enabled before setiing registers*/
LPTIM1->CR |= LPTIM_CR_ENABLE;
__NOP();
(void)LPTIM1->CR;
LPTIM1->ARR = timer_counts;
LPTIM1->ICR = LPTIM_FLAG_DIEROK;
LPTIM1->DIER |= (LPTIM_DIER_ARRMIE | LPTIM_DIER_UEIE);
while((LPTIM1->ISR & LPTIM_FLAG_DIEROK) == 0 );				// Wait for flagt to be set indicating DIER has been updated.
LPTIM1->CR |= LPTIM_CR_SNGSTRT;								// Start counting in single shot mode
//LPTIM1->CR |= LPTIM_CR_CNTSTRT);

• LPTIM1 is clocked from the LSI.
  • Yes, the LSI is enabled and selected as the clock for LPTIM1.
  • Yes, the peripheral clock for LPTIM1 is enabled.
  • No, the system is not currently running in low power modes.

Am I missing something? These are brand new parts but I don't see anything in the errata. 

FYI, I can't find a ST Library function to run a single-shot lptimer without setting it up in compare mode to control one of the channel's pins. HAL_LPTIM_SetOnce_Start_IT and HAL_LPTIM_OnePulse_Start_IT both assume I want to set the GPIO on a counter match.

1 REPLY 1
Joe WILLIAMS
ST Employee

Hi Nick

This post has been escalated to the ST Online Support Team for additional assistance.  We'll contact you directly.

Kind Regards

Joe WILLIAMS

STMicro Support