cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L4Rxxx OctoSPI with PSRAM

AlfaHotel
Associate

Dear All,

In "RM0432 Reference manual STM32L4+ Series advanced Arm ® -based 32-bit MCUs" in chapter "19.3 OCTOSPI implementation" and table "Table 119. OCTOSPI implementation" there are some differences in supported features between families. All families support Xcella and Hyperbus. So i would think i can use PSRAM with some limitations, like ones that have Hyperbus differential clock.

But on presentation i have found (https://www.stmicroelectronics.com.cn/content/ccc/resource/training/technical/product_training/group0/38/14/f0/84/28/e0/4b/40/STM32L4Plus_Introduction_Delta_STM32L4_Series/files/STM32L4Plus_Introduction_Delta_STM32L4_Series.pdf/_jcr_content/translations/en.STM32L4Plus_Introduction_Delta_STM32L4_Series.pdf)

on page 26, it is mentioned for "External memory Quad/OctoSPI" that only STM32L4P5xx/4Q5xx families support those.

Question: wont any PSRAM memory work with L4R series? Why? What I am missing?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @AlfaHotel​, to the community!

the errata sheet ES0393, section 2.8.22 of the STM32L4R mentions on this question:

PSRAM not supported

Some reference manual and data sheet revisions unduly mention PSRAM while this type of memory is not supported by the device. This is a documentation issue rather than a product limitation.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Peter, thank you for the warm welcome and your reply :)

I am new to the modern SRAM's so my question might be naive, but please allow me to rephrase it:

If STM32L4R supports Xcella and Hyperbus interface specification, what stops it/me from using Xcella/Hyperbus-compilant PSRAM?

Is is something i can find in spec and maybe adapt to, or is it just some silicon-magic on chip design level and I cannot do anything with any PSRAM in the world?

Many thanks