cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L053 Discovery Kit (UART between PC and Kit)

mark_ko
Associate II
Posted on March 06, 2015 at 09:32

Hi, i am very new to STM32, just installed the IAR environment. Appreciate if anyone could advise.

Is there a UART example of String transfer using UART TX/RX of PA9 and PA10 in Polling mode  for STM32L053 Discovery Kit (Between PC and Kit) ?

Thanks
29 REPLIES 29
mark_ko
Associate II
Posted on March 13, 2015 at 10:11

thanks for the links.

philipp23
Associate II
Posted on May 11, 2015 at 13:42

Hi,

I am new in Microcontroller programming and I hope you can help me.

I have a STM32L053 Discovery Kit and I want to send a string via UART communication between my PC and MCU and display this string on the E-Paper display of the STM32L053.

I have successfuly connected the stm32 pins PA9 and PA10 and with a FTDI Chip with a RS-232 Femal on my PC.

I test this connection with the HTERM.

But I do not know how to send a string to the E-Paper display...

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 11, 2015 at 14:16

The e-paper drivers could be extracted from [STM32Cube_FW_L0_Vx.x.x]\Drivers\BSP\STM32L0538-Discovery\ and [STM32Cube_FW_L0_Vx.x.x]\Drivers\BSP\Components\gde021a1\ , there may be other needed files scattered around too, I am not going to hunt them down for you.

CubeMX might be able to autogenerate something half-usable, I don't know, I don't use it.

JW

philipp23
Associate II
Posted on May 11, 2015 at 15:26

Ok Thanks,

do you have some references about that topic?

Posted on May 11, 2015 at 21:22

Jan can work with Reference Manuals and Registers, if he wrote a tutorial on Cube it would probably have one page saying ''Don't do it!''

I'm sure there's a manual for the ePaper display, and Cube certainly has an example of using it. Download the Cube system for the L0, and review what examples/samples that yields.

Very few here are using the L0 and providing code examples.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on May 12, 2015 at 09:29

> if he wrote a tutorial on Cube it would probably have one page saying ''Don't do it!''

:-)

Yes it's a pose and maybe not the best survival strategy I admit.

> I'm sure there's a manual for the ePaper display,

I spent a couple of evenings several months ago playing with the 'L053 Disco, I like the idea e-paper ever since I've seen the concept at around 2000. I don't remember the details and had not time to get back to it since then, but surely there is some manual around for the controller. The controller supports 4-level ''grayscale'', the ''driver'' in Cube ignores it.

> and Cube certainly has an example of using it.

Yes - the demo the Disco comes with was built using Cube and is contained within. There is a prebuilt binary contained in the Cube in case one gets lost, and courtesy of the V2/1 of the onboard StLink which provides a virtual disk, you can copy it onto the board in a second.

There *may* be a library for the epaper contained in mbed, but as mbed primarily targets the Nucleo boards, I am not sure it is - check out yourself (mbed.org).

> Download the Cube system for the L0, and review what examples/samples that yields.

+1

JW

Posted on May 12, 2015 at 09:38

> There *may* be a library for the epaper contained in mbed, but as mbed primarily targets the

> Nucleo boards, I am not sure it is - check out yourself (mbed.org).

OK I found it for you:

https://developer.mbed.org/teams/ST/code/Disco_ePD_demo/

https://developer.mbed.org/teams/ST/code/EPD_GDE021A1/

JW

philipp23
Associate II
Posted on May 12, 2015 at 09:41

Hello,

thanks for the reply.

I just tried the mbed site but there are not much examples about that topic.

Do you know how to modify the CUBE example UART to get a connection with the board and pc and to display a string, which is send by the pc, on the e paper?

Posted on May 12, 2015 at 10:03

> I just tried the mbed site but there are not much examples about that topic.

One should be enough. I gave you link to one.

> Do you know how to modify the CUBE example UART to get a connection with the board and pc and to display a string, which is send by the pc, on the e paper?

Well, you stick the UART and epaper stuff together, and use the ''print'' function on the received data. You should really figure it out yourself.

JW

philipp23
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2015 at 14:01

Hi,

now, I am able to display a string what I want on the E-Paper, but can you say me, how I can send a string with a Terminal (HTerm for example) to an array over UART from the pc to the STM32L053 Discovery?

Thanks in advance.