cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stm32h7b0vbt6 SWDIO and VCAP are shorted

Nikos_Chalkias
Associate

Hello, so I have designed a pcb using the stm32h7b0vbt6 mcu. After finishing the soldering process and checking thoroughly for any shorts, I tried debugging the pcb. However there was always an error initializing the St link. So I checked for any shorts and found that swdio pin is shorted with vcap1 and vcap2. Of course my first thought was that there was a short because of the mcu soldering even if there weren't any visible shorts. After cleaning the connections for a while the short disappeared only to appear again after powering up the board. After some thought I hypothesised it was a malfunctioning pcb so I started soldering on my backup. After connecting the mcu and checking for any short circuits, of which there were none, I powered up the board and low and behold, the swdio and vcaps were shorted. I have no clue what could cause this on two separate pcbs and would like some help/advice. I am happy to send any pictures or the pcb layout.

4 REPLIES 4

Double check orientation.

Perhaps a large, clear and in-focus picture of the part in-circuit, and salient portion of the schematic.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Orientation is correct, I have designed and soldered 2 other working pcbs using this mcu.

OK, and what about point 2 that Tesla mentioned, i.e. the pictures and the schematic of the relevant part?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
TDK
Guru

> I am happy to send any pictures or the pcb layout.

It would be helpful if you did this. It's almost certainly a hardware error (layout and/or soldering) and you're the only one with access to the hardware.

> After cleaning the connections for a while the short disappeared only to appear again after powering up the board.

Shorts generally don't disappear temporarily. How exactly are you determining it's a short and that it disappeared/came back?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".