cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32G491CEU6 PWM output has a very fast rise time (~2ns) and 400mV Overshoot when not loaded. How come there is so much overshoot? Is this harmful for the pin?

BGheb.1
Associate II

I'm using PB14, TIM15_CH1 for my PWM signal. Since it's TT_a I/O structure 3.6V tolerant.

6 REPLIES 6

Perhaps you could ease back on the slew-rate setting? Perhaps from one of the 120-180 MHz ones to the 1-5 MHz, or something remotely appropriate..

GPIO_InitStruct.Speed    = GPIO_SPEED_HIGH; // << THIS TO SPEED_LOW RATHER THAN SPEED_EXCESSIVELY_HIGH

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TDK
Guru

It could also be due to a poorly calibrated scope probe.

I doubt the chip can harm itself by generating a PWM with no/minimal attached circuitry.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you Tesla, I'll go ahead and try adjusting the slew rate and see if it helps with my issue.

But if find it really odd since I am also generating PWM from another pin and it has a slower rise time (~6ns) and little to no overshoot. I'm using the same code on both pins and probing with the same scope and same setup.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

The overshoot is mostly from the connected device or from your probe connection. Try to reduce the GPIO speed...

S.Ma
Principal

Don t worry about this as there is no specific warning on the spec. RF modules, wifi or else do have a strong antenna output pin and in this case the spec does warn you that if the antenna is missing when transmitting, it is destructive to the pin.