Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f401 ''accidental'' read out protection

gkovelman
Associate II
Posted on April 27, 2016 at 14:25

Hi,

I have a custom board based with STM32F401 MCU. While programming the board with OpenOCD, it somehow failed and now the board is with ROP.

I'm trying to figure out why the MCU gone to that state. Any ideas why? The software is simple and has nothing to do with ROP nor flashing unlocking.

Thanks.

#stm32f401 #eclipse-openocd-read-protect
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on April 27, 2016 at 14:46

Then perhaps its your programming tools and option settings?

Suggest you use the ST-LINK Utilities or the System Loader to mass erase the part. If you think your code is causing an issue at reset, then strap BOOT0 High.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
gkovelman
Associate II
Posted on April 27, 2016 at 14:55

The same software and tools are running on STM32F401C Discovery and I've never seen this behavior.

I'm able to unbrick those boards as Readout protection is on level 1.

Posted on April 27, 2016 at 17:23

Ok, then if you don't think it's the tools then you'll need to look at your board design, I have no insight into that.

It is not clear from your post if this is a one off issue, or if it occurs repeatedly. If it is occurring a lot, let's look at the logs from the tool indicating what it is doing, or the .HEX files involved.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
gkovelman
Associate II
Posted on April 27, 2016 at 22:32

The behavior is repeating every several flash procedures. I can't tell when it happens, I only get an error from OpenOCD that it's failing to send flash-write packet.

Do you know where those logs are? I'm using the latest SW4STM32.

I really hope that it's not an HW issue, but I also don't know where to look at.

Thanks.