cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F1xxx shortages

PKorz.1
Associate II

We moved to STM after being let down by Freescale and TI in terms of sourcing. We are now finding massive MCU shortages and lead times > 30 weeks. Even despite this, we just found out that apparently STM is not taking additional orders.

It is frustrating since the STM news feed shows "business as usual", with no mention or indication as to whether this is a supply issue, a demand issue, and what is being done about it.

Can anyone share any insights?

13 REPLIES 13
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

What exact type are you searching? I did not see many parts on reorder e.g. at Farnell.

PKorz.1
Associate II

STM32F101CBT6

Don't they have a sales organization? People buying large quantities normally have a plan and schedule, buying speculatively is always going to be a crap-shoot.

Is >30 weeks abnormal? The semi's have moved to a build-to-order long ago, and fab utilization is going to lean to high running, profitable lines. Distributors these days are next to useless, they aren't going to warehouse skid loads of parts.

The F1 parts are archaic, you designed this recently? Is there pin compatible F103

https://octopart.com/search?q=STM32F101CBT6

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
PKorz.1
Associate II

Thanks but your answer isn't at all helpful. We are a small business and we do buy large-"ish" quantities (2000-5000) per year. >30 weeks is ABSOLUTELY abnormal. Do you purchase microcontrollers? Most places have had these in stock, and or the lead times were reasonable 8-10 weeks. I agree that distribtors are "useless" but your comment about warehousing is not correct. Despite the 26 week lead time, we placed an order and our distributor said that STM isn't even taking more orders at this point.

We designed the products about 5 years ago. F102 and F103 have pin compatibility but are facing similar shortages.

I didn't ask about your opinion on our buying cycles or design practices, I was asking what others are seeing in terms of availability and potential causes.

TDK
Guru

> >30 weeks is ABSOLUTELY abnormal.

I'd generally agree, although 8-10 weeks seems optimistic. I'd also say that 2020, delays in getting anything not currently in stock are the norm, not the exception.

I haven't experienced issues getting what I need. Typically not all chips are easily obtained, only the most common ones are in stock. Plenty of F4 parts show a 20-week lead on Digikey.

> We moved to STM after being let down by Freescale and TI in terms of sourcing.

Certainly not an issue that is specific to ST.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
PKorz.1
Associate II

We've never had an issue with these chips and availability. Generally a few weeks, and most often distributors have had them in stock in the 5 years that we've been buying them.

We CERTAINLY have never had an issue where STM has refused to take an order.

12 weeks in typically a minimum, when they don't have much going on, 8-10 weeks would be speculatively building stuff to keep the fab full, but lacking any orders behind it. Beyond that they are already at 100% capacity, and doing fine, those with a quota and a plan/schedule will be served first.

If you want sensible numbers, findchips.com lists many places.

Do I personally purchase them? No, I have a buyer, and work with part sourcers, but I know who my reps and sales guys are, and I don't go into anything expecting to get parts quicker than 10 weeks, and I know parts that have had 26-52 week delivery in recent times. Some you have to put money down, others will be non-cancellable, or at the very least require 12 weeks notice to push out delivery.

You need to deal with ST sales directly, know your sales guy, and have a plan, so you have a pipeline of product.

If you're buying on the spot market, you need to watch the stock levels, because the parts arbitrage guys will be.

If they aren't taking orders, you'll need to find out who has excess stock, and again the sales guys are going to know who has what, and who is pushing out deliveries because they don't have sell-through.

Distributors might have warehouses, but they aren't holding onto vast hordes of dead stock from the 1970's any more.