cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32: Performance for FFTs

PNada.3
Associate II

1) We are looking to perform 140 FFTs each having 2048 samples every second. How can I gauge the performance of STM chips for this purpose or are there benchmarks or data published about this?

2) Are their suggested libraries for running FFT’s on STM32’s quickly?

3) What STM chips would be good for this type of FFT performance? The lower the cost the better but looking for a range of chips/eval boards to get a perspective of performance. I was considering the STM32H743I-EVAL, STM32F746G-DISCO, STM32F407G-DISC1 but it appears some of these are now obsolete and better chips might now be available.

4) I assume chip DSP is a must have for running many FFT’s as quickly as possible. Within a family of chips such as the STM M4, what characteristics makes one STM M4 better at running FFT’s than another? How can I differentiate which chips will work the best for our new product?

5) Are there any other STM chips outside of the STM32 family that I should look at for this type of FFT performance that can compete on a cost level with the STM32 chips?

1 REPLY 1

CMSIS-DSP library, should have examples.

The older boards you mention have been sold for the better part of a decade, availability of screens and other sub-components can be an issue.

The clock speed, and memory speed will have specific impact. Depending on H7 family looking at 480 or 550 MHz. Keep working set in DTCM RAM

The H7 has a double-precision FPU, where as the CM4F and F746 parts have a single-precision FPU

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..