cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 for motor control, dual core MCUs?

SKled.1
Senior II

Hello,

I am looking for a solution for motor control that covers 2 applications, 1) controlling a BLDC for both spinning at constant speeds as well as stable positioning mode, and 2) driving a stepper. (sharing some hardware & software design between those two is an aim).
But there's an additional consideration...

I just saw this news item from ST newsletter:
https://newsroom.st.com/media-center/press-item.html/t4544.html 

they are using a STM32G4 for BLDC control.
The additional thing is, perhaps it could make sense to have a separate processor for the other tasks of the system, so that neither the timing requirements for motor control are disturbed, nor the high prio motor control stuff disturbs the timing of continuous analog signal measurements which is the other block of tasks the system needs to do.

Are there some recommenable STM32 MCUs which are both, well suited for the outlined motor control scenarios, and has two Cortex-M cores?
I'm aware of the STM32H7, which seems like a multimedia monster & overkill 😉
So far, in the old state of the project, a mere STM32L072 is used for the measurement tasks, next to a totally specialized-IC-based MC solution which is to be replaced now.

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

The STM32H7 series has the only dual-core general purpose STM32 MCUs that ST makes. (Ignoring RF/bluetooth applications.)

Running motor control while also monitoring ADCs, user input, etc. should be quite doable.

Could always use two different MCUs, but there are a lot of advantages to keeping it on a single one.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
SKled.1
Senior II

Btw., does ST's X-Cube Motor Control SDK make use of the advanced computation features some STM32 have, like in the G4, FPU, CORDIC instructions?
How does that SDK relate to the "ST SPIN" BLDC controller? (it's also listed as a resource on the MCSDK documents page). The project in the OP does not seem to use STSPIN, doing all in software on the G4?

-
And just a little fun aside, looking at the abomination of the "1 Kudo" button:
https://www.etymonline.com/word/kudos 
"In form the word is a Greek singular noun, but the final -s often is mistaken as a plural suffix in English, leading to the barbarous back-formation kudo"

But Americans also buy "a gyro", when gyros is uncoutable, not plural... argh :D

Very interesting! Thank you for the mini-lecture about kudos. I've never thought about this before.

Ironically, by liking your comment, I have now generated yet another "1 Kudo" button...