cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self test for CPU

Steven Burck
Associate III
Posted on January 19, 2017 at 12:20

I'm writing a package for a company using an STM32F746, and one of their wishes/requirements is a BIT for the CPU itself.  Now, this is not defined well on their part.  My opinion is that a test of a processor by itself isn't worth very much, but what I proposed was that I take a fixed value, stick it in one of the registers, add 1 to it and save it in another register, until I've passed through all the general purpose registers, and then return it and see if it is the expected value.  This is at least testing part of the actual processor.  

I then hoped that something like this, or actually, a lot better than this, exists in some library or public domain, as there are enough companies who must deem this a requirement, which would put different parts of a CPU though its paces and determine that the CPU is working.  This would both save me the time of actually writing it, and also hopefully give me a test which is little more than just putting a check on a requirements checklist..

3 REPLIES 3
Posted on January 19, 2017 at 13:21

You are maybe looking for

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009Xke2LSAR

. You can get inspired by the same for other families

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32-safesil.html

and the related packages e.g

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcus-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32-standard-peripheral-libraries-expansions/stm32-classb-spl.html

For various reasons I doubt you will ever find any public domain software.

I am *not* an expert in this area.

JW

Posted on February 16, 2017 at 15:49

Thanks very much.  This looks exactly what I'm looking for (much more than I need, but a couple of the functions are spot-on).  However, I have having the worst time trying to get access to these libraries.  I have gone to the link to download the software, filled in the form 5 times (10, actually, 5 for the software and 5 for the STM32CubeMX plugin), and sent it on to ST.  No response.  Each time it tells me within 48 hours I will hear back, and I never do.  I have gone to customer support, but they say they cannot find my requests (the link doesn't mail back a request, it just puts up a dialog box telling you 'Request for software successfully submitted. The approval process may take up to 48 hours. After you have been approved, you should receive a link to the requested software via email.'), and this keeps running in the same circle.  I'm writing this here both to thank you for the link and to hope that someone from ST sees it and fixes the situation.  The replies from customer services are less than helpful - after sending them a detailed description of probably every mouseclick of what I did, they keep telling me 'we do not have any similar ticket in our support center yet. The fastest way would be to describe the problem in this request. Could you, please copy and insert the text here of your last uploaded request?' - which I do, and it happens again.  I have now sent them screenshots of what I've done, hoping it will help.

Posted on February 16, 2017 at 17:06

However, I have having the worst time trying to get access to these libraries. 

I am *not* an expert in this area, either... 😉

Sorry to hear that, hope that ST reads this (and by that I don't mean only the Moderators of this space).

JW