cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a Suitable Ultra-Low Power MCU

MTaj-.2
Associate

Hello,

I am using a Power Management IC with Digital output supply specifications in my project with very low power. The average digital outputs are: 1.8V, 85uA, 150 uW.

I am struggling to find a suitable low power MCU. Any suggestions?

For example, I looked at STM32L552ZET6Q (attached pdf, page no. 153 Current Consumption table) and the Supply current requirement in Run mode (Range 2) at lowest frequency (100 KHz) is 0.223 mA at 25 degrees Celsius which is higher than what my PM IC can supply (85 uA).

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

This sounds a bit odd.

Any microcontroller will usually start in its normal "running" mode - liable to take mA - it won't go to low-power until code puts it there.

Therefore a power supply that can only manage under 100uA seems very strange.

Maybe give some more details about your design - what are you trying to achieve?

What is this "Power Management IC" that you're using?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

In addition to what @Andrew Neil​ said, for such ultra low power applications one typically takes an energy storage device, usually a capacitor, which is charged by the weak source. When a certain amount of energy has been buffered, the STM32 can start or be started and go back to sleep when the minimum voltage is reached.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

"What is this 'Power Management IC' that you're using?"

Is this some kind of energy-harvesting system, perhaps?