cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming original stm32f103c8t6 with clone bluepill board

Ahmetp
Associate II

Hi everyone i bought bluepill with fake chip and i replaced it with an original stm32f103c8t6.
When i use stlink utility with other fake bluepill it detecets the chip but when i use stlink utility with original chip in a fake bluepill board i get this error.

Ahmetp_0-1712139532794.png

I checked the connections with a multimeter for Chip to stlink connections for swdio,swclk, 3.3 and gnd pins. All of them are connected properly but still can't get rid of this error. I checked other connections there is no short circuits any of the unreleated pins. What should i do ?

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@Ahmetp wrote:

when i use stlink utility with original chip in a fake bluepill board

You mean the "genuine" STM32 after you fitted onto that board - replacing the "fake" chip which was originally on that board?

How are you certain that the replacement STM32 is actually genuine? Was it brand new, or salvaged from something else?

Are you sure that the replacement chip is properly soldered - no shorts; no opens?

Could you have damaged the chip and/or the board while desoldering the old chip, and soldering the new one?

The message suggests some things to try - have you tried them all?

Is it a genuine ST-Link?

PS

Is it worth the effort? Why not just get a Nucleo board - then you know where you are!

Yes i replaced genuine stm32f103c8t6 with a fake bluepill board.
I bought genuine stm32 from digikey supplier which recommended from st.com https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32f103c8.html#sample-buy
i checked every connections for shorts and opens there is no short circuit beetwens ports and all the VCC GND and debug lines (SWDIO and SWCK) are connected proplery. I checked with multimeter short circuit from MCU legs to the headers and all seems fine.

I soldered succesfully at my first try so i don't think i damaged the chip.

I'm doing it because i made a custom stm32 board and i'm waiting for its shipments. While i'm waiting for it i just wanted to program my chip with a board.

@Ahmetp wrote:

a fake bluepill board.

So maybe the board itself is faulty?

@Ahmetp wrote:

I'm doing it because i made a custom stm32 board and i'm waiting for its shipments. While i'm waiting for it i just wanted to program my chip with a board.

Again, why not just use a Nucleo or Discovery board?

Also:

The message suggests some things to try - have you tried them all?

Is it a genuine ST-Link?

Ahmetp
Associate II

but i could detect the fake chip with stlink utility before i replace it with genuine stm32f103c8t6

because i want to program my genuine stm mcus.

@Ahmetp wrote:

but i could detect the fake chip with stlink utility before i replace it with genuine stm32f103c8t6

So you've damaged something on the board, and/or the replacement chip is not fitted properly.

@Ahmetp wrote:

because i want to program my genuine stm mcus.

You could equally do that on a Nucleo or Disco board