cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open source Bluetooth Apps for Addressable RGB's

alex_embedded
Associate III

Hi all!

Been a loooong time since I've been around forums, but I'm back!

So a long time project I've wanted to do is coming back into my brain and I figure its time to start chipping away at it!

I love RGB LEDs, especially the addressable variety, and I love cars. So I want to join these two together and create custom headlights with addressable RGB rings - commonly called "Halo Rings" in the industry. Now this has been done by a number of companies but I really want to do it myself. For one, custom headlights like this for my car are around $1,200AUD which is crazy; and second, I'm studying electronics engineering and I'm relatively competent with coding so why not give it a crack!

My plan is to use WS2812B LED rings, the FASTLED library, and a bluetooth controller using a stm32 MCU.

Okay so enough blabbering, and to the point of this whole post. I see a HUGE number of apps on the Google play store that control WS2812B strips and they all appear to do it in very similar (willing to bed identical) ways. However, in my research I have not been able to find any sources on how they've done it. I want to avoid writing my own app seeing as there's so many available out there, if I really have to then so be it - but it'll drastically cut down the time to do this project if I don't have to write my own app.

There must some generic command library/list/system that all these apps are using. You can buy a generic WS2812B BLE controller and it'll likely work with many different apps. This just proves that they are using the same functions.

If anyone here knows where I can find the information or even know who I can ask, please let me know below! Any assistance is greatly appreciated! 🙂

0 REPLIES 0