cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo-144 no pins in CN11 and CN12

BMcKnight
Associate II

Hi!

I'm a new STM32 user.  I acquired a Nucleo-144 board today and noticed that there are no pins in CN11 & CN12.  Just curious why.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @BMcKnight 

The CN11 and CN12 connectors are ST morpho connectors that consists in male pin header footprints that are not soldered by default. They can be used to connect the STM32 Nucleo-144 board to an extension board or a prototype/wrapping board placed on top of the STM32 Nucleo-144 board.

For more details, take a look at the user manual of your board.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

Ultimately, probably just cost saving.

However, it does allow you to use female or male headers as required. And significantly reduces the potential for shorting pins if you drop something conductive on top or place it on a conductive surface.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AScha.3
Chief II

AScha3_0-1700600195956.png

you see the pic - so is it.

with "unused" pins you can do whatever you want. solder a wire...

if you dont like it, dont buy it.

whats your problem with this ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @BMcKnight 

The CN11 and CN12 connectors are ST morpho connectors that consists in male pin header footprints that are not soldered by default. They can be used to connect the STM32 Nucleo-144 board to an extension board or a prototype/wrapping board placed on top of the STM32 Nucleo-144 board.

For more details, take a look at the user manual of your board.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I suspect cost and utility. Through-hole stuff is getting more awkward and expensive to jig and selectively solder.

The audience is hard to please, no one method makes everyone happy. Removing hundreds of pins you don't want is a pain for sure.

A lot of the interesting connection come out on the other pin headers, boards can plug in top or bottom.

I suspect it's imagined that you wire connectors or direct connect the sub-set of pins that you actually need to break-out for your given application.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

As I stated in my post, I was just curious.  There's no need for snark.  That's what gives other community boards a bad reputation.

no no, dont get me wrong.

did you ever try to de-solder a double row pin-header in a double sided board ?

almost impossible... much more easy, if nothing is there and you can solder , what YOU want.

maybe wires (as i do) or long pins, to stack a board...

so this is (i think) the best solution: most flexible - and cheap. (what we want - right ?)

just that's what I wanted to make clear.