cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an NXP MKL03Z32VFK4 alternative with great long-term availability

mlac
Associate II

Hi there,

I've been using the NXP Kinetis MKL03Z32VFK4 Ultra-Low Power Cortex-M0+ MCU in our products, and it's been working well, but due to a major redesign, I'm looking for alternatives, and ST MCUs are promising.

Specifically, I'm concerned about long-term availability. NXP has been offering its LPC product line for ages. Then, they purchased Freescale, inheriting their Kinetis series. Now, they offer the MCX series, too. Given their multiple competing product lines, I'm worried they'll discontinue the MKL03Z32VFK4 after its 2035-06 longevity date.

I'm considering using the STM32L011F4U or STM32C011F6U instead of the MKL03Z32VFK4. Even though their availability is only guaranteed until 2034-01, I'd expect ST to extend their availability further than NXP. I believe this because, to my knowledge, ST is the most popular Cortex-M supplier, and it only has a single product portfolio.

Can some of you provide more insight on the above?

11 REPLIES 11

I can adjust the baud rate according to U0 capabilities to a degree. What's the maximum baud rate supported to wake up from STOP mode upon LPUART RX?

Dear @mlac ,

Here you go 

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an4635-how-to-optimize-lpuart-power-consumption-on-stm32-mcus-stmicroelectronics.pdf

L0 use case 

IMG_8679.jpeg

U0 use case at the end as example of concrete example with power consumption 

IMG_8678.jpeg

 Hope it is inline with your budget , but please note it is base on a superset U07 with more RAM and Flash so with U03 is much more reduced for consumption.

Cheers,

STOne-32