cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD_8bits

aymen
Associate II
Posted on December 12, 2012 at 10:09

I am trying to use an LCD HD44780 (2X40) with STM3210C-eval. I want to configure it for 8 bits mode.

#re-inventing-the-wheel
33 REPLIES 33
aymen
Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2013 at 10:10

finally, it works with 4bits-mode.

thank you for yor help.  :)

jj2
Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2013 at 17:29

Glad for that - congrats!

It would be most helpful to the (exhausted) yet interested others who read this - if you'd detail just how you finally succeeded.  Suspect (as always) that ''initialization'' was key - and that once this was solved you could work out the dual nibble, character entry details...

aymen
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2013 at 16:28

I increase the time of delay (<<2) in lcd_init .

I Minimize the cable length between the module and host MPU. (Recommended max. length 30 cm).

also I find that the lcd need negative votlage   Max(VDD-Vo)=13.

jj2
Associate II
Posted on January 08, 2013 at 16:42

Glad you persisted - got it working.

Very early on - you were advised about likely need for negative voltage @ Vo pin. 

However - we know of NO 2 line, character display - that requires up to -8V (wrt gnd) on Vo.  Suspect yours operates quite well w/ -2, -3 max @ Vo.

So long as you follow the initialization delay details outlined here (w/real values) - you should be ok.   The very first initialization codes require unusually long delays - after those things become more reasonable. 

When using 4 bit mode - always advisable to periodically, ''re-initialize'' the Lcd - just in case noise or power issue has caused the Lcd to become, ''disordered.''