cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input/Output currents from STM32F072RBT6-MCU for driving LEDs.

NDorn.1
Associate II

Hello,

we build a breadboard configuration with 20 LEDs. The LEDs have a current consumption of 20mA per LED. It worked properly. Now I read in the datasheet something about a maximum injection current of 25mA of all I/Os (screenshot is attached). So we should be a lot over the top. But why does it work then without any problems for a longer time? Do we damage the MCU or did i misunderstand the datasheet?

Thanks for your advice

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

You should look for current source or current sink capabilities, depending on how the LEDs are hooked up. Injected current is something else and not relevant here.

0693W00000BbAzvQAF.png 

Regardless, 400mA is way outside of the specification, so you'll need to rethink your scheme, or accept that the chip may die prematurely.

I'm surprised it even works at 400mA.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

"But why does it work then without any problems for a longer time?"

Have you done a complete characterisation over all operating conditions?

How long is "a long time" ?

There's a big difference between "no noticeable problems" in one single example under benign conditions on your bench - and a product that it guaranteed to work under all possible conditions throughout its entire life.

Datasheet limits tell you under what conditions the product is guaranteed to work as specified - that doesn't mean that it will fail completely & immediately the moment you exceed any 1 parameter.

What it means is that you are into the realms of undefined behaviour ...

As @TDK​  suggests, you are over-stressing the chip and it will likely die prematurely.

You may well also find that some other characteristics are out-of-spec - especially at extremes of temperature, etc ...