maf
Associate II
Posted on April 10, 2008 at 18:17

I2S operation

8 REPLIES 8
maf
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:27

I am interested in using the STM32 with an external I2S CODEC. The reference manual (13902.pdf) lists, in Section 7.3.6, on page 113, in Table 30 (''DMA requests for each channel''), in the second row down, ''SPI/I2S''. I cannot find any other reference to I2S in any other documentation. SPI is similar to, but not identical with I2S. Has anyone seen any information on this or used the STM32 with an external I2S CODEC? A pointer to code and doc would be useful.

Thanks.

Mike

lanchon
Associate II

somewhere I saw the extended range of peripherals planned for the next batch of stm32s (512k flash, 64k ram), supposedly coming in Q2. I believe they'll come with I2S, but I'm not sure.

maf
Associate II

Maybe that's why it (briefly) appears in the reference manual. 🙂 Plans. I will check with my local ST support people, but I thought that someone might know a bit more here.

Thanks.

Mike

bart_hicguet
Associate II

Correct, I2S is foreseen in the new devices, but only on the performance line.

To be more detailed:

Access line will have 5*USART, 4*16bit timer, 3*SPI, 2*I2C, 1*ADC, 2*DAC and EMI.

Memory up to 512K Flash and 48K RAM

Performance line will have 5*USART, 4*16bit timer, 3*SPI, 2*I2C, 3*ADC, 2*DAC, USB, CAN, 2*I2S, 2*PWM and EMI.

Memory up to 512K Flash and 64K RAM

Packages till 144 pins.

Cheers,

Barth

bart_hicguet
Associate II

Forgot to mention: samples Q2, production Q3 2008

maf
Associate II

barth:

Thanks for the info. Where did you get this information? Is there a part number(s) yet for the part with I2S? We are in the second quarter, so I would like to find out before I switch to another manufacturer's part. Then again, I don't want to get burned by lateness on availability of any new ST parts, so I would have to be sure that they will actually be available.

Mike

bart_hicguet
Associate II

Hi Mike,

I am a distribution FAE, so we get this info a bit before it becomes commercially available.

These devices are in beta test at some keycustomers, so its not just paperware. I have the new part no, but not sure if I can distribute these over the forum.

The info I have right now is that I2S will be available in all the new performance line devices (with more then 128K of Flash).

You can always try to contact your local ST support to get more info.

I tried to get some datasheets of these new devices, but since they are still in beta test, we don't get them.

I suppose you should wait a bit if you really want a STM32 with I2S.

Cheers,

Bart

bart_hicguet
Associate II

Hi Mike,

it seems that with some google-ing, you can find the new part no.

The new devices will only be available in packages of 64,100 and 144 pins.

Have a peek at

http://www.best-arrow.com/2_STM32CortexUpdate MAR08.pdf

Here you will find the new part no, but also the internal block diagram.

This presentation says that samples will be available in june 2008.

The FSMC you see in the new devices is a flexible static memory controller inteface to connect several kinds of memory. I was told that yo can connect both NOR and NAND flash, but I have no further details regarding this interface.

Cheers,

Bart